Black death grr

Show off your DIY project!
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Black death grr

Post by choppers »

I pulled out my transducer and restuck inside the yak to try and get better soundings. I think over time wear and tear had created a bubble.
Anyways seemed to go ok.
Was planning to launch off Cape Paterson for a quick test. Battery failed to fire the sounder.
Grabbed another battery and this also didn't work.
Some cutting of wires and cursing as im running out of cable trying to find good metal again.

Can I buy replacement power lead for Lowrance chirp models if needed?
Any ideas how to inspect where the wiring becomes rust free? I hope to find good metal again and waterproof heat shrink some more wire on.
Note it's the negative that's taken the worst of it
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Re: Black death grr

Post by Fish Grylls »

Have you also ruled out the connections at the head unit (WD40 Contact cleaner is great) and the head unit itself. If you have a spare unit you should be able to check (welcome to borrow mine). Also I would be removing the fuse out of the equation, and yes I do not run fuses and most kayakers I know do not either. A process of elimination before going the next step to look at a transducer or wiring issue.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

Tas, I rarely disconnect the sounder from the leads, all this end looks to be in perfect condition.
Removed the fuse when it all failed and still no go

Head unit functioned fine before I touched the transducer.
Might have to pull it out of the yak and do diagnostic
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

One thing to consider, even if you can measure a voltage at plug/head connection, if there is a weak connection causing high resistance as soon as you try to draw amps by turning head on it causes a voltage drop which may cause failure to power up.

Going through a similar diagnostic issue myself. New power cables are about $35

If it wont power up it wont have anything to do with transducer, it should power up in demo mode without transducer attached
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:One thing to consider, even if you can measure a voltage at plug/head connection, if there is a weak connection causing high resistance as soon as you try to draw amps by turning head on it causes a voltage drop which may cause failure to power up.

If it wont power up it wont have anything to do with transducer, it should power up in demo mode without transducer attached
you not still struggling with your freebie are you Keith?
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

laneends wrote:One thing to consider, even if you can measure a voltage at plug/head connection, if there is a weak connection causing high resistance as soon as you try to draw amps by turning head on it causes a voltage drop which may cause failure to power up.

I had a similar issue on my last trip to portland, after testing what i could with just a multimeter i thought that my battery might have died, once i arrived home i was in a better position to run more tests to find i had a broken wire, my sounder would turn on but after a few minutes/seconds it would go low voltage and turn off, it was as Keith said, the broken wire would only allow enough current through to turn it on then it would shut down.

To test you wire use your multimeter in ohms check the positive wire end to end (battery connection to head connection) then the negative they should be of the same or similar resistance, to find the actual fault in the faulty wire can be very difficult, if you have reason to suspect an area of breakage this can narrow your search, if the breakage is not near a connection and is from corrosion it might be worth replacing the wire.

To clean the corrosion from wires you wish to join try the attached method ;)
Cleaning corroded wire.png
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:

you not still struggling with your freebie are you Keith?
yes it fired up briefly, then blank again. Took the head into CH Smith they plugged it in and its fine. They said that lead should be fine given it doesn't need plotter connections. The plug gets voltage across it. I have two power packs with fuse set ups, both of which have been cleaned with new plugs. It doesn't work with either.

Hence It must be the lead or the quick connect plug causing a voltage drop. So next test (when I get round to it) is to remove all plugs and connect wire ends direct to battery terminals. That should determine if I have to replace the lead ($35) or the quick connect.

Didn't help my old multimeter was intermittently playing up to confuse the issue.

Petes suggestion for testing resistance is a good one too. I'll give that a shot too.

Kayak wiring always seems to be more finnicky that it should be
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

Took the sounder to BCF today.
Failed to fire up using their new power cable and battery.
Unit being sent to Lowrance.
Fingers crossed for a replacement or repair

choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

Update:

Lowrance service has notified BCF that my unit had water inside and is irreparable :cry:
They offer no replacement because the one year replacement warranty period is over.
Covered for five years repair / service only

I was hoping for a replacement head unit and not to be told I would have to buy one
Not really happy

peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

How old is the unit? How do you think water got inside? I looked at how garmin seal their units (not carded) but the only way water can get in is if the seal (blue) is either not put on correctly or its perished.

It's a shame it's not repairable, however they have been becoming outdated very quickly in the last few years with the mapping and other features now available, if your going with cheap, make sure you get mapping and downscan/view is definitely worth getting imo.

I had issues with my sounder while in portland and i missed not having it, lucky it was just a broken wire.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm