Black death grr

Show off your DIY project!
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Re: Black death grr

Post by outback paul »

[quote="peatop"]
It's a shame it's not repairable, however they have been becoming outdated very quickly in the last few years with the mapping and other features now available, if your going with cheap, make sure you get mapping and downscan/view is definitely worth getting imo.

I have to agree on the value of mapping. I just "upgraded" to a Lowrance Hook2 5X GPS/Splitshot (as a result of my old Lowrance Elite4 failing), and I'm already missing the charts I had in the old unit on a Navionics card. I believe you have to go up to a 7" screen model before you get a card slot now.

And for what it's worth, my experience with the company in NSW that services Lowrance units was not a happy one. Seems they wanted to sell me a new unit (with a discount but still at a significantly higher price than you can buy one off the shelf), before they would even look at my old unit.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Yes Paul, that's the I do.bcf received and passed on.
With the chirp obsolete now, I was swung twords a 7 inch to elite at 599 :roll:

The unit was about three years old.
Guess it's time to start saving
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

choppers wrote:Yes Paul, that's the I do.bcf received and passed on.
With the chirp obsolete now, I was swung twords a 7 inch to elite at 599 :roll:

The unit was about three years old.
Guess it's time to start saving
Warranty is irrelevant, and usually not worth the paper it’s written on. Any warranty given cannot over ride the consumer guarantees enforced by the ACCC. As the problem was caused and confirmed by the manufacturer to be water ingress, before shelling out on a new one I’d check the claimed water rating your particular sounder. A number of models are rated IPX7 for example,
IPX7 Testing:
Defined as immersion in up to 1 meter of water.
The requirement is that the ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to one meter of submersion).
The test details include a test duration of 30 minutes and a water depth of less than one meter.
If you didn’t drop it overboard in more than 1m of water it hasn’t met the claimed specs and you can argue it. There’s a template and more info on the ACCC website.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

outback paul wrote:
peatop wrote: It's a shame it's not repairable, however they have been becoming outdated very quickly in the last few years with the mapping and other features now available, if your going with cheap, make sure you get mapping and downscan/view is definitely worth getting imo.

I have to agree on the value of mapping. I just "upgraded" to a Lowrance Hook2 5X GPS/Splitshot (as a result of my old Lowrance Elite4 failing), and I'm already missing the charts I had in the old unit on a Navionics card. I believe you have to go up to a 7" screen model before you get a card slot now.

And for what it's worth, my experience with the company in NSW that services Lowrance units was not a happy one. Seems they wanted to sell me a new unit (with a discount but still at a significantly higher price than you can buy one off the shelf), before they would even look at my old unit.
Im not referring to charts, mapping is the unit maps as you cross over the area, i thought charts would be good on a sounder however im not so impressed with navionics on my phone as far as detail, whereas mapping is very useful :up:

Good point Eoin, the warranty would only cover a fault in manufacturing rather than the ingress of water, however I think they might still argue the ipx7 rating since the unit is 3 years old, but worth the shot to bring it up, how long does the ipx7 rating last for?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

Thankyou Owen for breaking it down, that was my thinking because I remember a few members have had replacement ( I know cheater did).
Il be giving a look at the manual for my model and giving Lowrance another call I'd say
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

choppers wrote:Thankyou Owen for breaking it down, that was my thinking because I remember a few members have had replacement ( I know cheater did).
Il be giving a look at the manual for my model and giving Lowrance another call I'd say
You didn't hear it from me :shhh: :lol:
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

Didn't hear what??

Hoping for positive outcome, and appreciate input :thumbsup: :shhh:

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Helps if the casing is in good nick as they can't say it suffered an impact which affected the water proof seal. Thats the go to exclusion claim that phone manufacturers pull.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

outback paul wrote:
peatop wrote: It's a shame it's not repairable, however they have been becoming outdated very quickly in the last few years with the mapping and other features now available, if your going with cheap, make sure you get mapping and downscan/view is definitely worth getting imo.

Purchased my first Lowrance Hook 2 5 Tripleshot which has a map card & built in maps so that's good, I had a Dragonfly Pro4 before that.
So I'm still getting to play with the unit. As someone has pointed out and I have now discovered, with the O ring plugs for power and transducer you are going to have broken wiring very shortly if you fish often and have to keep taking the unit on and off so it doesn't get stolen.
Had I known that beforehand I would not have bought the unit. The other models have the push in & twist lock system which are way easier to remove.
I probably wouldn't buy a Lowrance again unless I had heaps of $$$ for a bigger better model. I miss my Dragonfly.
John 3.16/17
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

I am having a headache of a time with the repair company
So my unit is stuffed. When I pushed for a replacement, they first said my serial number matched to a us sale, voiding any claim
I had to call BCF and get reciept sent to me, and forwarded to centre.
They still say my unit was out of replacement warranty period, and best they can offer is 50% off a new 7 inch ti or any new models
Or an old chirp five or seven inch for about 300

Banging my head against the preverbial wall here, what to do?