Re: Plugging screw-holes in hulls?

Post by frappa11 »

pale/white/see through milk bottles are good if you cant exactly color match
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the info... One issue I have is that two of the holes are at a place in the hull where I can't get in to install a 'backing-plate' to keep the molten plastic from dropping straight through.

Mike.
shane wrote:This is one of the better videos for what you want. A standard soldering iron and HDPE offcuts will work. I use a dremel at the end then heat with a heat gun to smooth off
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

If the holes are only screw holes you shouldn't need a backing plate. Just don't let the area get to hot to prevent sagging. You can also add more plastic in stages if required. Just start with the easier holes to get the hang of it.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

mingle wrote:Thanks for the info... One issue I have is that two of the holes are at a place in the hull where I can't get in to install a 'backing-plate' to keep the molten plastic from dropping straight through.

Mike.
Have you got a pic of where you are trying to repair?
You can build up in stages, melt a small section of offcut/rod so it fuses with the edge of the hole then stop, let it cool then go again. Don't try fill in one go in your case as there is no backing plate to stop it falling through.
One things this video doesn't show well is that you need to make sure the "new" material is melted and fused with the kayak. If the new molten material is liqud & the kayak solid then you won't get a true weld with the possibility of leaks. The key with this type of welding is patience & don't rush.
It's really super easy to do :up:
John 3.16/17