Show off your DIY project!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Post by peatop »

Thats one nice looking job you have done :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

That is one sexy piece of wood.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

deck rigged - got out today and did a 6 km paddle 3 out and back - weather was 19 knot winds and and incoming tide at Warnett , so I had head winds and tail wind depending on which way I was going and of cause tide both ways
the boat is fairly stable - I did get to test the secondary stability with a 19 knot side wind ( thought I was going to take an unplanned dip ) avg was 7.5 kph and a top speed of 11.6 ks
that will improve with a little time in the boat

it also felt good on the few runners I was able to find - wind was against tide so the runners were more short chop - longer runners will be a hoot
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Post by winchbitch »

Good result Steve, brave move to take it out today :clap:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

winchbitch wrote:Good result Steve, brave move to take it out today :clap:
yer I'm looking for some pump up hobie side kicks for going side on to winds
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

You should make more and sell them
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

Woah looks great - I am not sure I ever want to stain that with squid ink or fish blood. It seems too high class for that !

Question to any wood workers out there - how is wood expansion due to moisture content handled in a vessel like this ? is it because its sealed in fibreglass so the wood moisture content never changes and so stays the same size ?

I am thinking of bolting a piece of spotted gum wood to my revo 13 to reinforce the mast receiver but being a newb I am not sure how to handle wood expansion due to water that may cause misalignment with the bolts in the plastic yak body.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

frappa11 wrote:Woah looks great - I am not sure I ever want to stain that with squid ink or fish blood. It seems too high class for that !

Question to any wood workers out there - how is wood expansion due to moisture content handled in a vessel like this ? is it because its sealed in fibreglass so the wood moisture content never changes and so stays the same size ?

I am thinking of bolting a piece of spotted gum wood to my revo 13 to reinforce the mast receiver but being a newb I am not sure how to handle wood expansion due to water that may cause misalignment with the bolts in the plastic yak body.
it would be a bit hard to balance in one spot and hold a fishing rod Ron - this is only a bit over 47 cm wide at the water at it's widest place with a very round bottom
the design was for speed not stability

and yes the whole hull is glassed inside and out with very light F/glass cloth and epoxy so the wood is sealed and should stay dry

the whole idea of glassing is to both seal and add strength the wood I used was Paulowia http://www.paulowniasurfboardsupplies.c ... gJTefD_BwE I'll give them a plug

this wood is quite light and not that strong but glassed both sides becomes a beam with the glass and epoxy doing the tension and compression thing making a soft wood into quite a strong light composite

back to your problem if you can shape your strengthening piece and just cover it with epoxy this should seal the wood ( I used bot cote myself it is a 2 to 1 - 2 part epoxy and commonly used in boats ) the epoxy needs protection from the sun though with some kind of UV protection - I use 2K clear auto paint but other paints and varnishes will do the same

hope that is some help
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Seasherpa wrote:
Jacko wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:it's getting close today I got the hull masked up and red stripes went down the length along the shear and the hatch seal surfaces also got the red treatment
Red stripes will make it go faster !
Watch out Gippsland challengers -
Yep basically the plan now is for all of us to t-bone him off the start line and hope for a capsize to have any chance of winning. :lol:
That is an impressive looking craft.
T boning isn't fair play. you might get wet !
I reckon Seasherpa will need to "rig" your lock racks to stick & not unlock just before the race to beat you in that magnificent craft.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Super glue cheaters hands together :evilgrin: this may slow him down for a few minutes ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm