cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Show off your DIY project!
Outback Yak
Square eyes
kayak: Hobi outback

Re: cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Post by Outback Yak »

Looks fantastic Cheater.... great skills to turn out such a sleek, elegant craft....your new pride and joy. Congrats :clap:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote:Looks at home in the water :up: any plans for the next one?
strangely enough I have sketched up a narrower hull with of cause less drag but was worried about stability and if I could sit in one
this craft worked out a lot more stable than I guessed it would - I do believe I could cut the stability factor back a bit to make a faster craft

of cause I know I could build a kayak lighter next time as this was a learning curve - so a lighter kayak with less drag again

we'll see how this one goes on a paddle challenge or two and get a couple of other projects out of the way and I may relook at another build
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Can you give a rough quote in time and materials?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Galey wrote:Well done mate, any idea what it weighs Cheater?

chucked the hull on the bathroom scales and it went 17 kg - I then weighed the hatch lids - rudder and foam seat that added 1 kg so the ball park is 18 kg

if i go with one of Eoins larger rudders that will save a little weight

I do think built again I could shave a couple of Kg off that
the Paulowia ( wood ) is really light but I have used some Marine Ply which is quite a bit heavier same with the hard word ends
4liters wrote:Can you give a rough quote in time and materials?
I'll look back over my receipts in the near future for you

as for time the basic hull came together pretty quick finishing off take more time as even small things take time to set
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

cheaterparts wrote:
Galey wrote:Well done mate, any idea what it weighs Cheater?

chucked the hull on the bathroom scales and it went 17 kg - I then weighed the hatch lids - rudder and foam seat that added 1 kg so the ball park is 18 kg
Wow that's pretty impressive. Amazing how quickly you have managed to get this done while still maintaining the quality. Given how many half finished projects are sitting in sheds all around the world this is an absolute credit to you mate. Been a ripper thread to follow. :thumbsup:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

it's getting close today I got the hull masked up and red stripes went down the length along the shear and the hatch seal surfaces also got the red treatment
I used straight red tint base coat

after a couple of hours the marking stripped off and the assembly hung from the roof so I could clear the whole boat

and the magic of clear now sets the wood colour off

plenty of 2K clear has been applied so if any blocking back and polishing needs to be done I can after it goes hard ( about a week )
it shouldn't need a lot as the finish looks pretty good

now I just have to fit up deck rigging something for the Easter W/E
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

cheaterparts wrote:it's getting close today I got the hull masked up and red stripes went down the length along the shear and the hatch seal surfaces also got the red treatment
Red stripes will make it go faster !
Watch out Gippsland challengers -
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Jacko wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:it's getting close today I got the hull masked up and red stripes went down the length along the shear and the hatch seal surfaces also got the red treatment
Red stripes will make it go faster !
Watch out Gippsland challengers -
Yep basically the plan now is for all of us to t-bone him off the start line and hope for a capsize to have any chance of winning. :lol:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

quick update - got all the rear deck rigging done today - Perimeter line - Bungees a tow point and rear hatch cover straps - also got a good start on the front

that it short and sweet today
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Man, that is one magnificent looking craft. Congratulations Stephan, excellent work.
When I first saw the 'red bits', I was a bit skeptical, but I am slowly becoming a convinced. :D
Also, I am almost a convert to the 'sleek paddle craft' fraternity.
Don't take this the wrong way, but 'by gosh I like a nice piece of wood'. :up:
Wood love to this this craft in person one day? :yahoo: (Sorry, couldn't resist.)