Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Re: cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Post by spider25160 »

I am just a little envious. I am a handy wood worker with experience in boat maintenance with a desire to build a boat of some description dating back perhaps 30 years.....I have yet to lay a keel and probably never will.....Great job Cheater I have lived it vicariously through your posts.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

spider25160 wrote:I am just a little envious. I am a handy wood worker with experience in boat maintenance with a desire to build a boat of some description dating back perhaps 30 years.....I have yet to lay a keel and probably never will.....Great job Cheater I have lived it vicariously through your posts.
Not sure what experience you have had with wooden boats, but they are actually amazingly easy to build, all you have to do is get your head around the maths of it, there are/were numerous books available on how to build wooden boats, i used to have a few years ago and the good ones have all the information required to complete your project, start with something small, even a scaled model using the exact same process to get the understanding of how its done
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

peatop wrote:
spider25160 wrote:I am just a little envious. I am a handy wood worker with experience in boat maintenance with a desire to build a boat of some description dating back perhaps 30 years.....I have yet to lay a keel and probably never will.....Great job Cheater I have lived it vicariously through your posts.
Not sure what experience you have had with wooden boats, but they are actually amazingly easy to build, all you have to do is get your head around the maths of it, there are/were numerous books available on how to build wooden boats, i used to have a few years ago and the good ones have all the information required to complete your project, start with something small, even a scaled model using the exact same process to get the understanding of how its done
Yes I have or have had the books I have ordered several sets of study plans and even purchased a full set for a 18 foot half cab and obtained the plans for a 30 ft yacht. Time or money or both have been a major issue along with the need for a suitable work space at various times.....opportunity lost
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

spider25160 wrote:
peatop wrote:

after I get a couple of other projects out of the way - next being a new kayak trailer , mines rusting out badly atm
it will be set up to carry up to 3 kayaks and also be able to carry a solo skiff

I have been sketching up a solo skiff to be done with the stitch and glue method from marine ply the very rough figures are about 13 ' long 5 ' wide should weigh in around 50 kg + motor and use a 10 - 15 Hp
at that size it would be easy enough to man handle down most beaches that a PA Hobie could be launched at - it would also fit over my camper trailer on the racks

a small modification has been done to the kayak - the foot pedal and heel brace - I had some off the shelf pedals but couldn'd get good leg drive so I've made up these

a bit rough but the results speak for them self - I have a little training coarse marked out from Warnett to Cannons Creek with a morning marker as a turn point this works out at a 6 km trip - 3 with tide and 3 against this takes out the advantage of tide assist

with the new foot brace I found it easier to balance and the better leg drive got me both a higher avg speed and less buggered doing it

my guess I could have done the coarse again and still kept the 9 kph avg - this was only my 3rd real paddle in the boat I think I will go quicker with some practice
the hull is fast - faster than me
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

The inside looks as good as the outside, and 9 kph average over 6 km hmm thats hmm well be careful the others might ask for a handycap start for you lol
spider25160 wrote:
peatop wrote:
Yes I have or have had the books I have ordered several sets of study plans and even purchased a full set for a 18 foot half cab and obtained the plans for a 30 ft yacht. Time or money or both have been a major issue along with the need for a suitable work space at various times.....opportunity lost
Yeah i had those dreams, nothing wrong with having them either, the hard part is making them work, my last project boat was a cabin boy skiff, i had decided to go small as life always gets in the way of dreams, i only got as far as the moulds sitting on the strong back before life to over and after many months it was scrapped :cry: however today if i wasn't to busy fishing(out in my PA) all the time i could probably get into wooden boat building again ;) if you really want to just make one? Just do it! Do what i decided and make a skiff (small, easy, fast, project ) unfortunately I've lost the urge to do it now.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm