The easiest way ever, to insert your trolley.

Show off your DIY project!
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: The easiest way ever, to insert your trolley.

Post by mingle »

Works well for the single-hulled yaks, but I find (for the AI) the one-ama-out/tip-on-its-side works far better.

I guess my back isn't strong enough to dead-lift 70+kgs of AI, but using the leverage of the ama, I can do it easily.

Just my two cents...

Mike.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

AI is just as easy.

Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

maverick wrote:AI is just as easy.
Do you have a pic of your bungee set up Mav???
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

1.5m - 2m of 5mm or 7mm Bungee with a clip on each end and a loose one sliding in the middle. The clips are crimped on and heat shrink over the top. Hint, slide the heat shrink on first for the second clip. :roll: )
bungee.jpg
bungee end clip.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by time2fish »

i did mine on a budget and short time wanted it done before the weekend.
i used two screw in eye hooks and simply drilled small one and screwed in the hook .i used a bolt eye hook for the right side.
(i should have used two hobie eye tubs) but needed done asap.
i used 1.5m of bungee rope and 3 Carabiner clips.
worked a treat first go .
here are some pics ...and thanks for the write up maverick :yahoo:
Attachments
job complete yay
job complete yay
26907739_10157254966497468_6619398401810516856_n.jpg
26993270_10157254967052468_8565380186674763028_n.jpg
27066995_10157254965837468_8924785727049038928_n.jpg
26815159_10157254967142468_7725908981064358437_n.jpg
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Looks good Andrew, much easier
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Works really well on the flat ground or on sandy beach.
but I tried it on a concrete boat ramp.
I wanted to avoid dragging the yak to far up the concrete ramp to protect the hull from scratches.
I left the bow in the water & lifted the rear on to the wheels of the trolley (as shown on Mavs video)
As I and lent down to clip on the bungee the yak hull started roll on the wheels & slid down the ramp back into the water.
It would have made good footage for funniest home videos if it was caught on camera. :lol: :lol:

Take 2 - Got some help to hold/support the yak while I clipped on the bungee to the posts and the trolley insert was easy.

2nd milestone - I want to master inserting the trolley while the yak is still in the water as shown on the you tube below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuK5s8N-CA

I want to see if the bungee tension can pull the buoyant beach wheels down enough below the water to allow the posts to insert.

3rd Milestone
Once above is mastered I want to see if I can stay dry on my yak while inserting the trolley.
This is my proposed method:
While the yak is still on the water
1. kneel on the seat facing backward.
2. feed the bungee through the scupper tubes.
3. reach under and grab the bungee while still kneeling on the seat. (might need to use a pole, gaff or paddle to reach bungee under yak)
4. clip the bungee on to the trolley posts.
5. throw the trolley into the water to the back of the yak behind the rudder.
6. put tension on the bungee to pull the trolley under the yak.
7. Increase tension to line up the posts with the tubes
8. Increase tension further to pull posts up through the scupper tubes under the tension of the bungee.
9. Paddle in to shore
10. jump off bow to shore (keep feet dry).
11. grab bow handle and drag yak on wheels up to car.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Jacko wrote: Once above is mastered I want to see if I can stay dry on my yak while inserting the trolley.
This is my proposed method:
While the yak is still on the water
1. kneel on the seat facing backward.
2. feed the bungee through the scupper tubes.
3. reach under and grab the bungee while still kneeling on the seat. (might need to use a pole, gaff or paddle to reach bungee under yak)
4. clip the bungee on to the trolley posts.
5. throw the trolley into the water to the back of the yak behind the rudder.
6. put tension on the bungee to pull the trolley under the yak.
7. Increase tension to line up the posts with the tubes
8. Increase tension further to pull posts up through the scupper tubes under the tension of the bungee.
9. Paddle in to shore
10. jump off bow to shore (keep feet dry).
11. grab bow handle and drag yak on wheels up to car.
Been thinking about this myself and was considering a way of not needing to bugger around fiddling the bungee through the scupper all the time.

How about keeping the end of the bungee attached to the trolley and having the other end connect to some braid? The braid is permanently fed through the scupper holes. When you detach the trolley you leave the braid in place (which then wraps around the sides or end of the yak and comes back up to where you stow the trolley). Being braid it won't slow you down much for being there and as long as it's kept taut should not get in the way. When you want to reattach the trolley you just toss it into the water and pull on the braid.

Depending on how you put the trolley on when you're on land it's even possible you won't need the bungee at all this way; you could just attach the braid to the trolley directly.

BTW this may be a little more messy if you store the trolley in the scupper holes (as I suspect most people do). I don't do this anymore as I found the 30cm sand wheels got in my way too much being right behind the seat. I now keep the trolley slotted into the rear handle of the PA, lashed down with a bungee. Of course, that raises the question of how I get to it to toss it back into the water :wtf:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I've been thinking about this for a while, i don't take my wheels with me on the yak, 1. I use the scupper hole for holders 2. Once my box is in the rear cargo area the wheels dont fit. I've looked at storing them elsewhere but there isn't any room, im thinking about making a holder on the rear of my box, there is no reason why i cant have bungees running through the scupper holes while out on the water. Sometimes using wheels really sucks, im not sure about using them where there is a risk of turnover, and using them on short boat ramps at low tide just doesn't work well, to date I've only used my wheels at torquay and st leonards, both beach launches
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

If you are at the ramp, then why don't you just put the trolley under with your hand rather than fannying around with the bungees? If you have cut down the trolley already, it makes it even easier. you can be in less that waist deep water.

I use the bungee method when i'm on the beach and the "manual" method when at the ramps.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish