Hobie Rail Bolt Receiver

Show off your DIY project!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Hobie Rail Bolt Receiver

Post by Yako »

Does anyone know where I can get a "female" Brass Nut/Receiver that is imperial (although not necessary)?
The previous owner of my yak had cut the 2 aluminium side tube rails shorter to fit a strange trolling motor mod.
Anyway they were always a bit wobbly & I wanted to put them back to the right length.
When I went to fit the SS Bolt in the rear Receiver it started to spin when I'd got it only 1/3 of the way in as the threads were damaged. I couldn't get it out so I've "surgically" removed it.
Now where can I find something like this that's not a "T" nut or "Rivnut" or "Screwnut"? If it's metric that's fine preference in Brass to avoid corrosion or an alternative ?
Funny not, a friend of mine 2 weeks ago snapped a mast/rod on his V2 2015 PA & when he tried to unscrew the mast the receiver just spun, Same on the other fin :o
Turns out Hobie loves to use stupid little things that should not be used because "They will fail" :x
Attachments
IMG_1734.JPG
John 3.16/17
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Hobie Rail Bolt Receiver

Post by peatop »

Try an industrial bearing & bolt suplier or here http://aerobolt.com.au/products/threaded-inserts/
Oh general question. Has anyone had online orders airbaged? Im finding snail mail dead snail slow, years ago i used to get smaller items airbaged for some items it was cheaper and was delivered next day or following depending on order time.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

You will find that the insert was moulded into the hull at manufacture, so looks like trouble for you.
Talk to Hobie dealer or try the Yakdoctor.

The threads in the Hobie brass inserts are not metric, they are a UNC or UNF thread
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Thanks Peatop, the top 2 rows are what I call rivnuts ive used before but I'll try the company to see if they have something.

Yes I've found out a few things for Hobie are hard to get due to being imperial, if I need to I'll go metric.

I've repaired holes in my scuppers that SLH & someone else said couldn't be done, I've welded a huge deck split on my PA (that was a "Known" Hobie fault & welded a few other holes (from the previous owner), welding is the least of my problems :D
John 3.16/17
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Job Done, just needs a buff up now :D
Attachments
IMG_1745.JPG
John 3.16/17