Waeco esky live tank conversion Manual or Electric?

Show off your DIY project!
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Waeco esky live tank conversion Manual or Electric?

Post by Franko »

Converting a waeco 41LT esky into a live tank for a pro angler. I have all the plumbing for both types of setups.
I am however interested in what the pros and cons are for each set up. I would also like to see how the plumbing has been configured and anything that needs to be considered.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Waeco esky live tank conversion Manual or Electric?

Post by bjspinner »

FRANKB wrote:Converting a waeco 41LT esky into a live tank for a pro angler. I have all the plumbing for both types of setups.
I am however interested in what the pros and cons are for each set up. I would also like to see how the plumbing has been configured and anything that needs to be considered.
If you plan on doing tha ABT comps it needs to be an electric setup with recirculation, the main issue of an electric system is the need to prime the pump as most are not self priming.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Not planing joining the ABT at this stage but would consider it in the future. If your running an aerater pump that would count as recirculation? I think its double handling when your required to manually pump/prime the electric pump. I was considering building a SLH style manuel livewell for now. If I persisted with chasing the brembos in comps I would upgrade.

Seems to be the only way unless you throw a pump and hose over the side and have it completley submersed rather than on the deck through a scupper.

The end product will hopefully be a multiple functioning box for storage/bait that is really neat.
0401 314 820

bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

FRANKB wrote:Not planing joining the ABT at this stage but would consider it in the future. If your running an aerater pump that would count as recirculation? I think its double handling when your required to manually pump/prime the electric pump. I was considering building a SLH style manuel livewell for now. If I persisted with chasing the brembos in comps I would upgrade.

Seems to be the only way unless you throw a pump and hose over the side and have it completley submersed rather than on the deck through a scupper.

The end product will hopefully be a multiple functioning box for storage/bait that is really neat.
A pump intake up through the scupper, above the pump you have a T piece one side goes to the livewell the opposite to the pump the remaining outlet of the T has reduction fittings down to suit a fuel bulb pump.
On the hose leading to the esky you put a tap in line so the line can be locked off to air, when you pump the bulb with the tap shut it will suck the water up into the pump and prime it, once primed and running just open the tap and you have flow.

It's a lot of pumps on a manual pump to fill a 41L esky
Mobile 0418991898
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Is this the same set up you run? Sounds good, i
think the bilge pump at 35lt a min i could be wrong though.
0401 314 820

bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

FRANKB wrote:Is this the same set up you run? Sounds good, i
think the bilge pump at 35lt a min i could be wrong though.
A similar setup mechanically, I have recirculation and an overflow outlet on the livewell

The problem most systems have is with the non priming pumps, Go over a wave if the pickup tube comes out of the water you loose prime in the pump. A non return valve above the pump helps but they restrict the flow of the pump.
Mobile 0418991898
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Thanks Bruce ill look into modify the current set up
0401 314 820