Filling in holes in hull

Show off your DIY project!
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Filling in holes in hull

Post by mazman »

I have a railblaza mount I need to remove and was wondering if there is any best way to fill in the inevitable holes that it will leave behind.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Filling in holes in hull

Post by 4liters »

Give Yakdoc a call
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Simple screw/bolt holes are easy to fill. An air plastic welder works best but a soldering iron still does OK on smaller holes. I've filled a few holes with both tools. The key is to clean oxidation off all surfaces, use the same plastic (a thin strip cut off a hatch lid edge will do) and work the two pieces together so they mix. Cut off excess and sand down for a clean finish. If you're not confident or for bigger jobs then seeing a professional like Ghurkin is a good idea.

Youtube has plenty of examples of how its done:

0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I got some scrap Hobie from Josh last year at SLH to repair my holes in scupper tubes & I used it as well on my deck where the seat was cracked & water leaked into hull.
It's really easy, as Shane said clean the tip of your solder iron/rod so it's clean & slowly start to melt plastic. You also want to heat The receiving area so the 2 materials melt/fuse together.
Find some similar materials & do a practice first if you're not sure before hitting the yak, but honestly it's really easy :up:
John 3.16/17
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie

Post by Brute »

Another option is put stainless bolts back through the holes. Maybe with a bit of Goop .