Fuse vs circuit breaker

Show off your DIY project!
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Fuse vs circuit breaker

Post by 4liters »

I have recently got my hands on a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and in the instructions it says to use a 3 amp fuse. I was wondering if that could be replaced with a 3 amp circuit breaker and if so which one should I get?
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Re: Fuse vs circuit breaker

Post by Franko »

Something water proof to slow corrosion, not sure if you could get 3 amp breakers
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

FRANKB wrote:Something water proof to slow corrosion, not sure if you could get 3 amp breakers
They definitely make them: https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-amp-circuit ... r/p/SF2252

I just don't know enough about electronics to know if the features of this kind of breaker will do the same job of protecting the sounder and batteries that a fuse will. I do like the idea of just pushing a button to get it going again rather than having to replace the fuse (and remembering to carry spares)
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:
FRANKB wrote:Something water proof to slow corrosion, not sure if you could get 3 amp breakers
They definitely make them: https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-amp-circuit ... r/p/SF2252

I just don't know enough about electronics to know if the features of this kind of breaker will do the same job of protecting the sounder and batteries that a fuse will. I do like the idea of just pushing a button to get it going again rather than having to replace the fuse (and remembering to carry spares)
as said Corrosion is all ways the biggest problem - you can get water proof fuse holders and probably not water proof beakers ( these fuse holders can get also wet inside ) but if you use a dielectric grease on the contact points where the fuse fits this will save most of the problem
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Ive got inline fuse as the corrosion concerns me on a breaker in salt water. As cheater says a simple dialectic like no name brand petroleum jelly works well :-)
John 3.16/17
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

We use a few on the yacht and they are encapsulated in a silicon sheath so I can push the button if it trips, we just used heat shrink over the ends of the silicon tube and it is quite watertight.
The salt air is the biggest killer not water itself, well I suppose it is but indirect.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

4liters wrote:I have recently got my hands on a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and in the instructions it says to use a 3 amp fuse. I was wondering if that could be replaced with a 3 amp circuit breaker and if so which one should I get?
I have a 3 amp breaker on mine but left the fuse in place also. If you want to be really safe put in a 20 amp fuse and a 3 amp breaker. The breaker should trip before the fuse.

I use Blue Sea Systems marine breakers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MMDLQQ/) along with their rubber caps (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MMDLKW) in my switch panel:
panel.jpg
That panel came with 15 amp breakers but I swapped them with the appropriate ones for each circuit.

I only have them in that box because I'm not sure where I'm going to permanently mount them. You could put a breaker directly in the hull pretty easily (just remember to add waterproofing to the back of the breaker as well - some goop or liquid electrical tape would do it).

I might even have a spare lying around; I certainly have some 15 amp ones but not sure about a 3A.

EDIT: I note C. H. Smith have them too, though not in 3A: http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Push ... eaker.html. You could probably safely use a 5A one though.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Thanks for the info guys
bunyip wrote:We use a few on the yacht and they are encapsulated in a silicon sheath so I can push the button if it trips, we just used heat shrink over the ends of the silicon tube and it is quite watertight.
The salt air is the biggest killer not water itself, well I suppose it is but indirect.
Do you have a picture of this silicone sheath? How do I go about making one or is it something you buy?
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

I haven't got a pic and the boat lives at Paynesville so I'm not going down until it warms up a bit but it was just a tube section of soft silicon that I acquired from a sparky, neoprene would most likely work as well and sealed with neoprene cement just don't have it too small so it restricts the button popping up.
Breakers I got were a bundle of leftovers I found on Gumtree, mixed bag of amps and got them for about $15 for about 50 of them, I gave a lot away but you get lucky sometimes.
Back to the tube, I think neoprene would be easier as you don't have to build up the wire to accept the heatshrink and if you have a bank of breakers it would be easier to fabricate.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

It'll probably be just the one breaker as I don't plan on having any other electronics running off the same battery.

Which neoprene tube should I be getting? I didn't even know it came in anything other than wetsuits until a minute ago :lol: