New wheels / LED side lighting

Show off your DIY project!
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

New wheels / LED side lighting

Post by chrisw »

Tried two new mods to my PA out today.

First was new wheels to replace the hobie 'heavy duty' ones which kind of suck on sand, but I can't really use the soft sand tyres as I cover too much hard ground.

I used 16 x 6.5” flat-free wheelbarrow wheels with sealed bearings (though how long the bearings will actually last is anyone's guess. They look pretty easy to replace though). These are meant to fit a 1" axle so I made shims to fit the 1/2" axle on the Hobie cart. I also needed to raise the collar clamps a few inches to prevent the wheels from contacting the hull (I also shimmed these as they tend to slip even if tightened up). Finally I decided to store the cart at the rear of the PA instead of behind the seat as the large wheels make it a little tight (they touch the paddle cliips) and I never really liked having the large cart there as it gets in my way.

Anyhow the result is a very noticable improvement in ease of transport across solid surfaces - the yak almost glides on the new wheels and is a pleasure to move. Across sand I'd say it's not quite as good as the 30cm pneumatic sand tyres but it's darn close.

The down side: they are bloody heavy (12kg for the pair) and weren't cheap. However given the distance I wheel my PA (average 1km each trip) and the fact I've already had one flat with the sand tyres the peace of mind of the flat-free tyres is for me at least worth the trade-off.

Second was exterior LED strips wrapped around the hull.

These are the same IP68 leds I had previously fitted internally as deck lighting but found too bright. I had two 5m reels of these (left-over from another project years ago) so I added the remaining lengths to the ones I pulled out and it worked out nicely. The reason I added these (apart from the fact I figured I may as well use them as they're doing no good sitting in a cupboard) is that, firstly, on my previous night trip I found it was annoying not being able to see what type of fish I'm pulling in so I wanted to resolve that. While the spotlight does work I thought low-mounted LED's would be less likely to dazzle me and/or reflect off the water. Secondly, the lighting may be good for attracting fish, though that is yet to be determined. Finally, if I really want to be seen then they do a good job of that as they wrap around the entire hull. They are not something I would normally have on but would flip on if I wanted to be a bit more noticable at night.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: New wheels / LED side lighting

Post by vicyak »

Chris great wheels and lighting. Lighting would be good. Can't see it hurting. Only thing is how well is lasts. it is going to be bouncing around through the water constantly. We'll see how good the glue holds.

In regards to the wheels which suit your purpose well. You might find though with that extra weight at the back of the yak with an anchor as well will upset the balance of the yak especially in chop. I have found this but I'm also very heavy so may not be as much as an issue for you. Just a thought... is there anywhere you an lock those wheels where you launch. Ie. Pole or a tree.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

vicyak wrote:Chris great wheels and lighting. Lighting would be good. Can't see it hurting. Only thing is how well is lasts. it is going to be bouncing around through the water constantly. We'll see how good the glue holds.
I didn't trust the glue on the strips as it's pretty weak. At the moment the strips are temporarily tacked in place with a dob of marine goop every meter or so. This holds them pretty well, at least for the interim. I was intending to add more goop once I was happy with the positioning but as it is I need to pull the entire lot off anyhow when I strip it down before my new kayak arrives.
vicyak wrote:In regards to the wheels which suit your purpose well. You might find though with that extra weight at the back of the yak with an anchor as well will upset the balance of the yak especially in chop. I have found this but I'm also very heavy so may not be as much as an issue for you. Just a thought... is there anywhere you an lock those wheels where you launch. Ie. Pole or a tree.
I was thinking of this. I probably could, but like the idea of having my wheels with me so I can haul out at a random location. At least once I have been uncomfortable enough with the waves that I beached a little further away from home than I would normally. Having my wheels with me removes the temptation to push on to my launch spot due to the fact it would be the only place I can trolley from.

That said I am a little concerned about the extra weight and will see how it goes. Maybe I ought to leave them locked in the scuppers underneath the yak; will avoid those annoying fin strikes plus the weight would work nicely as a stabilising keel :evilgrin: :lol:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

chrisw wrote:
vicyak wrote:In regards to the wheels which suit your purpose well. You might find though with that extra weight at the back of the yak with an anchor as well will upset the balance of the yak especially in chop. I have found this but I'm also very heavy so may not be as much as an issue for you. Just a thought... is there anywhere you an lock those wheels where you launch. Ie. Pole or a tree.
I was thinking of this. I probably could, but like the idea of having my wheels with me so I can haul out at a random location. At least once I have been uncomfortable enough with the waves that I beached a little further away from home than I would normally. Having my wheels with me removes the temptation to push on to my launch spot due to the fact it would be the only place I can trolley from.

That said I am a little concerned about the extra weight and will see how it goes. Maybe I ought to leave them locked in the scuppers underneath the yak; will avoid those annoying fin strikes plus the weight would work nicely as a stabilising keel :evilgrin: :lol:
Chris have you considered making the wheels detachable with a cotter pin or something. That way you could leave the frame at the back but put your wheels in the front hatch if they fit.
zarbs
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by zarbs »

All you need now is to get the lights flashing add some duff duff music, and you can have your own rave party when the fishing's quiet :clap: :yahoo: :yahoo:
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

Seasherpa wrote:Chris have you considered making the wheels detachable with a cotter pin or something. That way you could leave the frame at the back but put your wheels in the front hatch if they fit.
That's not a bad idea. They already come off easily as they are only held on by an R clip.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

zarbs wrote:All you need now is to get the lights flashing add some duff duff music, and you can have your own rave party when the fishing's quiet :clap: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Don't tempt me :)