DIY Motor for my new Hobie OUTBACK Part One

Show off your DIY project!
Panzer
kayak: None

DIY Motor for my new Hobie OUTBACK Part One

Post by Panzer »

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. first, at all, Thank you all for all the useful tips for a beginner(me). I was caught out the other day at Altona, was exhaust when I finally landed. So, I started it this little project two weeks ago.
I have done my research about fitting trolling motor on Kayak. Price to get one -Hobie evolves $3000. Register a vessel $40. boat license $120. No way I can afford $3G more, Mrs will kill me. so I found one right size motor can fit into Mirage drive slot from BCF, it's only $220. I bought it and fitted into Hobie factory slot bank (I don't know how to call that thing). Made a junction control box with fuses for Finder and Motor, also fitted battery monitor to check battery status. Fitted marine quality cable with heavy duty waterproof connectors to let me easily assembly and disassembly all the parts.
The problem, Battery. I have done the calculation for motor power consumption.The Motor is 20A current drop(MAX) which if it running 4 to 5 hrs, I need 80AH to 120AH deep cycle battery (also it power up my Finder and VHF radio). The battery is either too heavy over 30KG or costs too much. Oh well, because limited to my budget, I bought Supercharge Marine battery 80AH from work, close to 20KG. heavy, Yes, but it is fully sealed, maintenance-free, the most important, only cost me $110.
Registration next. We all have to follow the rules, right? It wasn't that hard as I thought. Because of that is not many people doing this, so spent 1hr and half at VICROAD to get it done. I have to register it as open hull than change to canoe. I have to say that Thanks to the friendly staff at VICROAD Sunshine, they are very patient and nice. I know the rule for motorized kayak may change in VIC, God knows how long gonna take them to change it. Also done my boat license another day. Bought all the safety stuff for the boat as well.
Testing. It's not bad. normal condition it can go 6-7 km/h, against current and the wind it can go about 3-5 km/h. It does the job.
[img]
IMG_5541.JPG
[/img]
[img]
IMG_5542.JPG
[/img]
[img]
IMG_5516.JPG
[/img]
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: DIY Motor for my new Hobie OUTBACK Part One

Post by maverick »

Make sure you fit a kill switch, so that if you fall out, the motor stops. (amongst a whole lot of other things)
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Panzer

Post by Panzer »

maverick wrote:Make sure you fit a kill switch, so that if you fall out, the motor stops. (amongst a whole lot of other things)
Thanks, mate. I thought about it, just could not find a reliable magnetic kill switch( from Local) yet.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Panzer wrote:Thanks, mate. I thought about it, just could not find a reliable magnetic kill switch( from Local) yet.
Just grab a jetski one - for example http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251440652708 (not magnetic but will do the job as it's designed for precisely this).
breakthelines
kayak: Stealth

Post by breakthelines »

Hi mate,

Have you thought about maybe doing a safety course and putting more time in on the water?
What happens if you push further out than last time, your Motor shits itself and you have to use man power to get back in? Will you be currying the mirage drive as back up?
How much kayaking experience do you have?

Putting the motor in looks like a quick fix to me when you could do a number of other things to improve your kayaking ability before you go the motor route.

Just a thought. Moz
norska
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by norska »

Nice and neat mod Andy!
If your rod ain't bending, its not fishing!
Safely released into the esky :)
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

I like the idea myself, just carry the drive as back up. How did you mount the battery?
Panzer

Post by Panzer »

Fish aholic wrote:I like the idea myself, just carry the drive as back up. How did you mount the battery?
Inside front hatch.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Panzer wrote:Hi guys, I am new to this forum. first, at all, Thank you all for all the useful tips for a beginner(me). I was caught out the other day at Altona, was exhaust when I finally landed.

The problem, Battery. I have done the calculation for motor power consumption.The Motor is 20A current drop(MAX) which if it running 4 to 5 hrs, I need 80AH to 120AH deep cycle battery (also it power up my Finder and VHF radio). The battery is either too heavy over 30KG or costs too much. Oh well, because limited to my budget, I bought Supercharge Marine battery 80AH from work, close to 20KG. heavy, Yes, but it is fully sealed, maintenance-free, the most important, only cost me $110.
breakthelines wrote: Have you thought about maybe doing a safety course and putting more time in on the water?
What happens if you push further out than last time, your Motor shits itself and you have to use man power to get back in? Will you be currying the mirage drive as back up?
How much kayaking experience do you have?
Just a thought. Moz
must say I have to agree with Mozza here ( as hard as it is to ever agree with him :evilgrin: ) while a motor may seam a quick fix - can you put the kayak up the right way if it get turned over in deep water with the extra weight of the battery - this is something you should test while doing your practice deep water re entry practice

and what back ups do you have in place if the motor stops working and you are out of you paddling range
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Be aware of their limitations,and the impact of the battery on weight and re-entries; here's a post from a fellow motor yak user on Facebook yesterday :
IMG_1554.PNG