Help: Slab of beers or something to help me wire battery!

Show off your DIY project!
eTwee
kayak: none atm

Re: Help: Slab of beers or something to help me wire battery

Post by eTwee »

Blinky900 wrote:Adrian I'm in Oakleigh South I have a soldering iron, solder, wire strippers and crimpers.
Your welcome to borrow them if you need.

Matt.
Really appreciate it Matt. I think I can get the materials. It's just all the electrical stuff I have no idea about.

Thanks heaps guys.

You have given me heaps of tips. I'll have a go this week on my own and let u know how it goes.

Ill get 3mm wire, heat shrink and a solder. I have waterproof connectors already that I bought.

Can anyone recommend a battery for elite ti 5s.

I want it to last like 5 hours or so.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

eTwee wrote:Can anyone recommend a battery for elite ti 5s.

I have an elite ti 7 and have had success with the 18ah SLA battery sold by Jaycar. It's the same brand as the 9ah one sold by Hobie and roughly the same price (though you'll need to add the connector yourself and waterproof the terminals).

I can't say whether or not the 9ah one is adequate - it may well be but the one I got had a faulty charger leaving me with a dead sounder after pedalling 6km to Wedge Spit and I was so cheesed off I went and got a bigger one to ensure it could never happen again. I also figure it gives me extra capacity for lighting and other stuff should I need it.

Downside is it's significantly heavier and won't fit in the hobie battery tray (I fixed the latter by 3D printing a new one that fits perfectly).
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

chrisw wrote:

I have an elite ti 7 and have had success with the 18ah SLA battery sold by Jaycar. It's the same brand as the 9ah one sold by Hobie and roughly the same price (though you'll need to add the connector yourself and waterproof the terminals).

I can't say whether or not the 9ah one is adequate - it may well be but the one I got had a faulty charger leaving me with a dead sounder after pedalling 6km to Wedge Spit and I was so cheesed off I went and got a bigger one to ensure it could never happen again. I also figure it gives me extra capacity for lighting and other stuff should I need it.

Downside is it's significantly heavier and won't fit in the hobie battery tray (I fixed the latter by 3D printing a new one that fits perfectly).

Hi mate,

Is this the battery you were talking about?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-18ah-sla-battery/p/SB2490
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

agelow wrote:
chrisw wrote:

Hi mate,

Go a deep cycle battery they handle a discharge better than a standard SLA battery.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

agelow wrote:Hi mate,

Yep, that's the one.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

bjspinner wrote:Go a deep cycle battery they handle a discharge better than a standard SLA battery.
Deep-cycle ones are generally a lot more expensive though. I've never even come close to draining the 18AH one and at under $80 it's not a huge cost if it has to be replaced.

If longetivity is important then a LiFePO4 battery such as one of these will give at least 1,000 cycles and have the advantage of being a lot lighter than lead-acid. The 12AH one at $130 sounds like it would not be a bad choice.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

chrisw wrote:
bjspinner wrote:Go a deep cycle battery they handle a discharge better than a standard SLA battery.
Deep-cycle ones are generally a lot more expensive though. I've never even come close to draining the 18AH one and at under $80 it's not a huge cost if it has to be replaced.

If longetivity is important then a LiFePO4 battery such as one of these will give at least 1,000 cycles and have the advantage of being a lot lighter than lead-acid. The 12AH one at $130 sounds like it would not be a bad choice.
I have that battery and the 20AH also, specific charger is needed for the chemistry though.
Mobile 0418991898
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

Anyone got a link to the deep cycle one?

That 12Mah SLA should last me 9 hours. I'm interested to see how much a deep cycle would also.

Not keen on LiPO atm.. just want this sounder to work.

I tried blue block batteries but completely nuffed it up and wasted like $60
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

I have a garmin 45dv with 5inch screen and with a 9mah SLA get more that the 9hrs you mentioned. It also fits in same space as a 7mah.

Mick
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

agelow wrote:Anyone got a link to the deep cycle one?

That 12Mah SLA should last me 9 hours. I'm interested to see how much a deep cycle would also.

Not keen on LiPO atm.. just want this sounder to work.

I tried blue block batteries but completely nuffed it up and wasted like $60
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/sunstone-12V ... 51d6bb1491
Mobile 0418991898