Help: Slab of beers or something to help me wire battery!

Show off your DIY project!
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Help: Slab of beers or something to help me wire battery

Post by bjspinner »

agelow wrote:Anyone got a link to the deep cycle one?

That 12Mah SLA should last me 9 hours. I'm interested to see how much a deep cycle would also.

Not keen on LiPO atm.. just want this sounder to work.

I tried blue block batteries but completely nuffed it up and wasted like $60
A deep cycle battery will not give you more capacity it just handles the DOD (depth of discharge) better than a standard SLA battery, sealed lead acid (SLA) don't like to be discharged below 60% of their capacity: ie- 10 amp battery 6 amp discharge.

By taking over 60% charge out over time the battery looses its overall capacity each time you do this, so in time you end up with a battery that won't take much charge and has minimal capacity.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
eTwee
kayak: none atm

Post by eTwee »

Thanks guys. I got l the materials I need except the battery.

Just wondering what you think will be best?

I want to have a battery that will last about 10 hours or so. I often do overnight camping trips and fish over a whole weekend.

I have an elite ti5s.

Power Consumption
12 W (0.9 A @ 13 vDC)
Power Supply (Supply Voltage)
12 vDC (10-17 vDC min-max

I was thinking of getting 2* 12volt 9mah diamec SLA batteries and hooking them up. All up it's about 5kg. $88 for 2 batteries. I believe this will give me about 10 hours.

Is there any other options s? I couldn't find deep cycle batteire around the 18ah range.
eTwee

Post by eTwee »

@shane you mentioned previously a reputable 8000 ma lion battery for about $60. Because it's Lion and can be fully dischsrhed, will it provide.more -hours then at my SLA combo of 18 ah?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

eTwee wrote:@shane you mentioned previously a reputable 8000 ma lion battery for about $60. Because it's Lion and can be fully dischsrhed, will it provide.more -hours then at my SLA combo of 18 ah?
Below is a link to the ebay batteries I've recently purchased. I have another 8000mAh version of this but the 2 batteries together make 11000mAh and are better value. I use them as duty/standby. The advantage of these over other Li-ions is they have a balance charge circuit, so with a proper balance charger they will last longer and charge fully. I'm not sure how they go for full discharge time compared to an SLA as I rarely use the full capacity. However I suspect the 18ah SLA would still be longer run time, but a lot heavier.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292021539041 ... EBIDX%3AIT
0408 565 763
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

eTwee wrote:Thanks guys. I got l the materials I need except the battery.

I want to have a battery that will last about 10 hours or so. I often do overnight camping trips and fish over a whole weekend.

I have an elite ti5s.

Power Consumption
12 W (0.9 A @ 13 vDC)

I was thinking of getting 2* 12volt 9mah diamec SLA batteries and hooking them up. All up it's about 5kg. $88 for 2 batteries. I believe this will give me about 10 hours.

Is there any other options s? I couldn't find deep cycle batteire around the 18ah range.
Why get two 9ah batteries when you could get a single 18ah diamec for less? Plus you only need one wiring harness.

I ran my elite 7 ti on it last Sunday for at least 8 hours and it was still at 12.3v when I shut it down.
jaybird01
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by jaybird01 »

You may be able to pick up a small flexible solar panel to keep it charged for the longer trips. Some of the new panels can be rolled up.
eTwee

Post by eTwee »

shane wrote:
eTwee wrote:@shane you mentioned previously a reputable 8000 ma lion battery for about $60. Because it's Lion and can be fully dischsrhed, will it provide.more -hours then at my SLA combo of 18 ah?
Below is a link to the ebay batteries I've recently purchased. I have another 8000mAh version of this but the 2 batteries together make 11000mAh and are better value. I use them as duty/standby. The advantage of these over other Li-ions is they have a balance charge circuit, so with a proper balance charger they will last longer and charge fully. I'm not sure how they go for full discharge time compared to an SLA as I rarely use the full capacity. However I suspect the 18ah SLA would still be longer run time, but a lot heavier.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292021539041 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks heaps I'm a bit wary of LiPo however. Heard nasty things about them?
eTwee

Post by eTwee »

chrisw wrote:
eTwee wrote:Thanks guys. I got l the materials I need except the battery.

I have an elite ti5s.

Power Consumption
12 W (0.9 A @ 13 vDC)

Why get two 9ah batteries when you could get a single 18ah diamec for less? Plus you only need one wiring harness.

I ran my elite 7 ti on it last Sunday for at least 8 hours and it was still at 12.3v when I shut it down.
The size of the single doesn't fit nicely in my battery box is the main reason.

Not keen on solar at the moment. Doubt itnwoudk charge much for my battery tbh.

Btw Shane my blue blocks I had originally must have been cooked only charge up to 10 volts now...
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

eTwee wrote:I'm a bit wary of LiPo however. Heard nasty things about them?
They can cause fires if punctured (which shouldn't happen if they are properly stored in the kayak). You also need a protection circuit; this can either be in the battery or separate from it. This is not just to prevent short-circults causing fires but also to prevent over-discharge. If a unprotected lithium chemistry battery is over-discharged even once it will be permanently damaged; sometimes they can be recovered but it will always do some harm. The protection circuit will turn the output off when it reaches the minimum voltage (this is why LiIon etc battery packs seem to have a sudden threshold where they run out of juice; it's the output being cut off, not the battery being completely discharged).

Additionally it is good practice to never leave high-power LiPo/LiIon packs alone when charging and to use a fireproof charging sack to hold them during charge.

Note that it's common for LiPo's intended for radio-control devices to not have protection in the battery itself as it is expected to be present in the ESC for the RC model. If the battery pack doesn't explicitly state it has protection you should assume it does not unless told otherwise by the vendor.

Personally if I were putting lithium batteries into a yak I'd use LiFePO4 rather than LiIon or LiPo, but if doing the latter as long as it has a protection circuit and is properly mounted and charged you can get away with it.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

eTwee wrote:The size of the single doesn't fit nicely in my battery box is the main reason.
So you intend to swap the batteries over when one goes flat, or does the box fit two smaller batteries but not the one large one?

What yak do you have? (You may want to update your profile in the user control panel to add it).