Help: Slab of beers or something to help me wire battery!

Show off your DIY project!
eTwee
kayak: none atm

Re: Help: Slab of beers or something to help me wire battery

Post by eTwee »

chrisw wrote:
eTwee wrote:The size of the single doesn't fit nicely in my battery box is the main reason.
So you intend to swap the batteries over when one goes flat, or does the box fit two smaller batteries but not the one large one?

What yak do you have? (You may want to update your profile in the user control panel to add it).
Yeah, two batteries lying flat wired together. I have a Malibu pro 2 tandem. The battery will be sitting in an area in between my feet.
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

Hi guys,

regarding waterproof connectors etc.

At the moment, I car-top my kayak hull side up on my roof racks. About 200ml of water gets into my hull after I go for a paddle.

If was to leave some cabling that had waterproof connectors such as this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Set-2-Cord ... Swux5YJrux

1) If I leave cabling in the KAYAK unplugged... will these get destroyed by rust? Or will they be fine?
2) Can I add anything to them to make them survive the splash of water inside the hull when they are DISCONNECTED and in transport?.

Ta
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

agelow wrote:If was to leave some cabling that had waterproof connectors such as this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Set-2-Cord ... 2325723563

1) If I leave cabling in the KAYAK unplugged... will these get destroyed by rust? Or will they be fine?
2) Can I add anything to them to make them survive the splash of water inside the hull when they are DISCONNECTED and in transport?.
It's probably not a good idea to let them get salt water on the contacts. Yes, there is something you can add but it's unlikely you'll get them from the clone sellers.

By 'clone' I refer to the fact that the manufacturer of the quality version of this type of connector is a company called Delphi and the connectors themselves are part of their Weather-Pack series. There are many clones of these connectors and these vary in quality. Some are junk, some are OK.

So to answer your second question yes Delphi have a seal available for this purpose: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/automotiv ... s/8010825/.

If you're going to go the route of getting the cheap ones from China, provided you have spares you could just grab one of the unused shells and fill it with marine goop (leaving room fo the mating pins) then plug that in when you're transporting. This should work pretty much the same as the Delphi seal.

I'll add the comment that with these connectors you get what you pay for. Cheap is often nasty; keep that in mind.
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

[/quote]

If you're going to go the route of getting the cheap ones from China, provided you have spares you could just grab one of the unused shells and fill it with marine goop (leaving room fo the mating pins) then plug that in when you're transporting. This should work pretty much the same as the Delphi seal.

I'll add the comment that with these connectors you get what you pay for. Cheap is often nasty; keep that in mind.[/quote]

That is bloody brilliant. I can use the unused spares.

Yeah true.. I may need to upgrade to proper connectors instead of nasty stuf...