New to Kayaking

Show off your DIY project!
baitbreath
kayak: none yet

New to Kayaking

Post by baitbreath »

Hi all,

I just bought my first Kayak last night.
Its a Malibu Mini-X.

Was hoping you could provide some advice on some of the following areas:

Unfortunately i cannot stand it up on the Stern (garage too low), so need to either hang it from the ceiling or wall. Does anyone have any good, secure tutorials they could share with me? Otherwise, Wife is going to make my leave it outside with a tarp over it.

Secondly, are there any essentials that i should consider in terms of my kayak setup?

I noticed by rod butt is quiet small in my favorite rod so my reel touches the yak. Should i be getting a bit of PVC pipe to insert into the rod holder to prop that up higher? Also so less chances of wetting the reel from the paddle?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: New to Kayaking

Post by cheaterparts »

baitbreath wrote:Hi all,

Unfortunately i cannot stand it up on the Stern (garage too low), so need to either hang it from the ceiling or wall. Does anyone have any good, secure tutorials they could share with me? Otherwise, Wife is going to make my leave it outside with a tarp over it.

Secondly, are there any essentials that i should consider in terms of my kayak setup?
First bit of advice while the waters still warm is get out and do some deep water re entries - kayaking safely is more important than fish - working out how to get back on your new investment in deep water should not be if you do take an unplaned dip

read through the safety section http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8 again I feel like the OH+S officer here but new to kayaking means there is a bit for you to learn

as for set up there are so many different ideas and the only right way is what works for you - many guys start out fishing one rod and a pack of plastics so the boat needs very little others have many rod holders and rods -- look through this section DIY and the Beast and you will see many different ideas
my first kayak had a few changes over the 3 or 4 years of use but my second I had an idea what worked for me so it was set up much the same as the end results as my first unit

as for where to store your kayak I find the back lawn fine as it's light my wife can move it as she mows the lawn -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

store upside down on rails, not flat on its bottom

i use pvc extensions, these are slightly thick dia than recesses. Cot some slots in the ends so you compress them to wedge them in. I only use these as rod carriers. For actual fishing I use proper holders.

Be aware of limitations of short yaks on open water. Size does make a difference.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Welcome Franky,

I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you in terms of ownership :)

As Cheaterparts says, safety is probably the first and most important thing to practice. I went out on Sunday to test out my kayak and have a go at both re-entry in deep water as well as trying my hand at righting the kayak from capsized. Depending on the width and weight of your kayak it can be quite tricky to turn a capsized kayak upright.

If you haven't already, you will need to get yourself at least the legal minimum requirements of a Aus approved PFD (Type1 or Type2) and a hand/electric bilge pump or means by which to bale water.

As for storage, again, I am a couple of weeks ahead of you, I have recently purchased one of these for storing of my kayak:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351118405530 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I am hoping to finish installing it this week. I'll fit it up in the rafters so I can store it as high as possibly above head height.

Nath
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

cheaterparts wrote:my wife can move it as she mows the lawn -
If I give her my phone number do you reckon she may do mine?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

bunyip wrote:
doubt it but she took some training - you might need to train your own
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

cheaterparts wrote:
bunyip wrote:
doubt it but she took some training - you might need to train your own
Bunyip,
Training requires rewards from the trainer to the trainee.
Buy your wife a lawn mower for a birthday or Christmas present.
Thats what Cheater did ! :lol:
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Isn't that what they call celibacy?