My ai rod holders

Show off your DIY project!
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

My ai rod holders

Post by Nello »

Here are some of my solutions for rod holders on the AI.
This first one is a pvc solution which slots into the standard rod holders and is gonna be mainly used for trolling. Its held in place by two ropes, one rope to the front which dosnt stretch and holds the rod holder in place to prevent it being pulled back when a fish strikes while trolling. The second rope is a buggy cord which goes to the back and holds the rod holders at a right angle to the yak. I also added a flat section to allow for mounting of a railblaza mount for a light, camera or flag
sketch-1475030242182.jpg
For my second solution I wanted to add on flush mount rod holders which I could put my snapper racks in for bait fishing.
I had a couple things which I wanted.
1. To be in front of me
2. Not need to drill any more holes in my yak
3. Not get in the way of pedalling
4. Not get in the way of my sail lines when in full ai mode.
Anyway I came up with this.
collage_20161207095035754_20161213214403198.jpg
I got 3mm aluminium and sandwiched it between the kayak and front crossbar. Drilled holes in the ally in the right place for the crossbar bolts to go through. Finally drilled out the holes for and riveted the rod holders onto the ally plate. I did have to trim the rod holders down so they didn't hit the yak. The ally is far enough forward to not impact on my pedalling. I haven't tested it with the snapper racks in while in full ai mode yet to see if it will impact how smoothly the sail lines move but I don't think there will be any impact due to how high up the racks are sitting.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: My ai rod holders

Post by laneends »

Good use of what is otherwise a dead space on the adventure. Even the tubes without snapper racks would be useful. How about some slots in plate to store pliers etc in?
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

laneends wrote:Good use of what is otherwise a dead space on the adventure. Even the tubes without snapper racks would be useful. How about some slots in plate to store pliers etc in?
Thanks mate. The tubes are pretty useful just as is, I've just gotta do an on water test to see if I'll be able to have rods in there without the worry of them getting caught up in the sail lines. And being pulled out.
I was thinking of putting some slots for pliers or a knife into the ally. It would be pretty handy to have and would help with keeping the yak neat and tidy.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Where are you mounting a sounder, could be a spot for that too.

I guess the issue with having triple racks is that they wont be pointing down tide so lines will be crossing when eg you reel in a hook up on front rod then it will clash with those closest.
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

laneends wrote:Where are you mounting a sounder, could be a spot for that too.

I guess the issue with having triple racks is that they wont be pointing down tide so lines will be crossing when eg you reel in a hook up on front rod then it will clash with those closest.
I've got the sounder mounted closer to me on the side, on a little pvc thingo I made up.
Probably wouldn't be able to have the sounder mounted on the plate as it would need to be extended up fairly high to get above my pedalling so I can see it. It would also be a bit too far forward for operating.
I hadn't thought of that, might have to work on pulling in the closer line if there is a hook up on the one further forward. Or at least need to move it into the rear rod holder.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Have you seen how my sounder is mounted? I use a ram ball on the front aka and then a 30 cm extension arm coming back towards me. It is out of the way of the pedals and rigging, and easy to use to see. You could do a similar thing mounted to the plate perhaps.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

maverick wrote:Have you seen how my sounder is mounted? I use a ram ball on the front aka and then a 30 cm extension arm coming back towards me. It is out of the way of the pedals and rigging, and easy to use to see. You could do a similar thing mounted to the plate perhaps.
That's an alright idea, I went for the budget option though, using a railblaza starport I already had and some pvc which I heated up and bent to the shape I wanted. Mounted the starport in the drink holder section next to my leg. It's nice and close to me but also dosnt get in the way of anything.
This is the only pic of what I've done.
received_1177960898942534.jpeg
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

For my sounder mount I have a railblaza mount on the rear aka mounting frame and then a 40cm section of SHS aluminium that extends out on my LHS. On the end of the Al I have a RAM sounder mount to the Elite 4. The whole thing can be pivoted clear and adjusted as needed with the sounder very close to me but not in the way. The battery is in a dry bag hung over the seat back. The transducer is attached via velcro to the side of the AI below the AKA bracket. The whole unit comes off in one piece with the wires all connected and it can be used in AI or adventure modes. I'll get around to doing a full build thread with photos that will be a lot clearer.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

In single hull mode do you sit straddle on it for extra stability and make more room. Mounting anything in drink holder would impede that and also restrict remounting on that side. This is how I have mine. A bend bit of tube would work just as well, if less flexible, and your aluminium platform is even closer.

Though it might foul with your rod butts if you use the snapper racks. But if you end up just using the recessed holders it would be a neat solution. Mine is only offset so I can use a central holder (having no mast) where rod butt lies between the pedals
Attachments
P1000769.JPG
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

Nah I don't sit straddle in adventure mode, when I had it in adventure I didn't find it too tippy and don't mind the sounder being there. It might impede re-entry on that side but I can get around to the other side if needed, and it dosnt take up much room so will be able to squeeze passed it.
Might look at mounting it further forward in the future but I'm pretty happy with the set-up of it all now