Rod Holder Mounts for the AI Hull (no ama's)

Show off your DIY project!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Rod Holder Mounts for the AI Hull (no ama's)

Post by maverick »

For anyone that fishes out of the A.I. or T.I. without the ama's on, here is a solution I made for how to mount rod holders. With the ama's on, my rod holders are mounted on the aka's, but without them, there is no way to mount the rod holders.

Even if you fish with one ama on, this will work for the other side where there is no ama.

This is the prototype and V2 will probably be plastic and will incorporate the plastic clip, to lock it into place using the existing locking tabs.

It can be swapped from side to side. I am working on the second one next.
installed
installed
installed
installed
top view
top view
side view
side view
bottom view
bottom view
Attachments
v2.2.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Rod Holder Mounts for the AI Hull (no ama's)

Post by shane »

I like it a lot. :clap:

I'd rather this than using bullhorns. I have just shoved suitable sized rod buts into the aka hole but it's not adjustable and puts the reel too close to the water. This will be an easy solution.

BTW I ordered a couple of cheap railbalza copies off ebay a while ago to test out:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131930616912 ... EBIDX%3AIT

If anyone's wondering they are an exact match to a railblaza mount. The base is interesting being an adapter from a starport to a 2" RAM ball. A useful addition if anyone has parts from each. The rod holder itself appears quite good however the rear cylinder section is too small a diameter for heavier rod butts but OK for thinner butts. I've got genuine Railblaza's as well so i just interchange depending on each rod. There's also very cheap starports popping up in both flat, side and inflatable mounts. I'm not sure of the legal status of these copies and I'm not necessarily wanting to encourage people away from the Kiwi original (which is an excellent product).
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

shane wrote:I like it a lot. :clap:

I'd rather this than using bullhorns. I have just shoved suitable sized rod buts into the aka hole but it's not adjustable and puts the reel too close to the water. This will be an easy solution.

BTW I ordered a couple of cheap railbalza copies off ebay a while ago to test out:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131930616912 ... EBIDX%3AIT

If anyone's wondering they are an exact match to a railblaza mount. The base is interesting being an adapter from a starport to a 2" RAM ball. A useful addition if anyone has parts from each. The rod holder itself appears quite good however the rear cylinder section is too small a diameter for heavier rod butts but OK for thinner butts. I've got genuine Railblaza's as well so i just interchange depending on each rod. There's also very cheap starports popping up in both flat, side and inflatable mounts. I'm not sure of the legal status of these copies and I'm not necessarily wanting to encourage people away from the Kiwi original (which is an excellent product).
My original cheapie yak came with one of those holders, ram style mount minus the starport set up. I found the swivel feature of the rear cylinder handy as it made it easier to get rod out on forward mounts, and being able to tip vertical was useful for rigging. Drawback was rod butts with the knob on the end often dont fit.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

How does cantilevering rod holders affect tippiness if you suddenly get a big hit without warning, notably when at rest. Especially if you have to reach behind and out to remove rod under strain. I am aware of the Revo 16 being tippier in this regards than the old bucket seat Adventure due to slightly higher COG, when using rear bullhorn holders
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

laneends wrote:How does cantilevering rod holders affect tippiness if you suddenly get a big hit without warning, notably when at rest. Especially if you have to reach behind and out to remove rod under strain. I am aware of the Revo 16 being tippier in this regards than the old bucket seat Adventure due to slightly higher COG, when using rear bullhorn holders
Hopefully I will find out at Portland. :evilgrin:

But given when trolling (which is all I will be using these for), most of the initial pressure is directly backwards (or relatively backwards to the direction of travel) it hopefully won't be an issue and there will be time to turn around and fight the fish head on.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Trolling should be fine. I have nervous memories of being slammed by a big ray when half asleep and instinctively grabbing for the rod and giving myself a fright. I now try to have the baitrunner engaged when bait fishing with rear holders.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Tested it tonight on the Snapper, worked like a dream and I wouldn't change a thing, just going to make it less agricultural.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Trimmed, sanded and painted - looks like a bought one.
aka extension..jpg
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

What keeps it in there? Is it just wedged in?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote:What keeps it in there? Is it just wedged in?
You should be able to carve it with recesses similar to the akas so that the existing clips will keep it in place.
0408 565 763