DIY Scupper Repairs

Show off your DIY project!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

DIY Scupper Repairs

Post by Yako »

Having obtained a piece of matching poly for my yak, I sealed the holes the Trolley had made in the scupper tubes.
I took the Sub out this morning in some mild 10kt wind at a local dam to test my handywork. The trolley just fits the scupper holes and doesn't appear to have any leaks.
I thought I would see how my homemade furler, sail mast etc worked as well :up:
I pedalled about 30-40 mins and sailed about 20 mins. With the wind catching the sail around 9kts I could feel it trying to flip the yak so I just shifted my weight to counter balance. I kept the fins down to act as a centre board/dagger board which helped tracking & then using the rudder to tack with the wind.
The PA sucks big time sailing compared to a windsurfer or dedicated yacht but I still had some fun today. I was a bit sheltered where I was so there was almost zero chop & wind was only coming from one point consistently. By the time I was finishing the sun came out but all in all the repairs to the scupper tubes seem to be good after being on the water for about 1.5Hrs :D
Attachments
IMG_20160929_173911.jpg
IMG_20160929_181340.jpg
IMG_20160929_174006.jpg
John 3.16/17
Yako
Lord of the fish

Re: DIY Scupper Repairs

Post by Yako »

Does anyone know for sure or have any ideas why I was told I could not use those scupper tubes again for my trolley?
I fused/melted the poly to the existing poly tubes (same material) so I would have thought it was strong enough as essentially I've increased the wall thickness.
John 3.16/17
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

People probably suggested not to use scupper tube trolley because the trolley posts may wear through the tube and damage it again.
Ghurkin the yakdoc repaired my 2009 outback by plastic welding in sleeves.
He does lots of scupper repairs and does not recommend the use of scupper post trolleys because they do wear & damage the scupper tubes.
The diameter of the tubes was reduced by welding in sleeves and the trolley posts no longer easily fit.
I now use a "sit on top strap on" trolley.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Thanks Robert.
Josh at SLH said the sit on top AI style with cradle is really easy to pull a PA around on. He said one drawback was it's size being quite bulky (I think they're also quite expensive if I remember correctly).
I'd love a simple system like the Boonedox from USA which I think great for Outback's but I'm dubious on a heavier PA with balloon tyres.
John 3.16/17
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Yako wrote:Thanks Robert.
Josh at SLH said the sit on top AI style with cradle is really easy to pull a PA around on. He said one drawback was it's size being quite bulky (I think they're also quite expensive if I remember correctly).
I'd love a simple system like the Boonedox from USA which I think great for Outback's but I'm dubious on a heavier PA with balloon tyres.
Man I wish they'd make a cradle like that for the outback
When fully loaded it would be way easier then scupper trolleys. Need to flip mine maybe and knock up a fibreglass flop of the centre hull shape
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Wind Waker wrote:
Man I wish they'd make a cradle like that for the outback
When fully loaded it would be way easier then scupper trolleys. Need to flip mine maybe and knock up a fibreglass flop of the centre hull shape
The boonedox thing for the Outback looks good but very expensive.
Yeah maybe you should make a mould for the Outback (maybe you could sell them :evilgrin: )
John 3.16/17
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Hey Rich, is that lysterfield lake, says no fishing but would be a great spot for EP,Bass and Cod :evilgrin: