transducer mounting

Show off your DIY project!
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Re: transducer mounting

Post by Joshua »

Hey Tim, Try sticking down the foam cut out with contact adhesive first, then once that has properly set, silicon in the transducer. That way constant knocks and bumps are putting pressure on the foam and not your silicon. should last a fair bit longer.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Thanks josh, is there any particular type of contact adhesive i should use? Or just something like quick grip?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I used a similar rubber pad for my wet mount on the quest 13. I didn't even stick it down just wedged foam between top of pad and underside of deck to clamp it down. kept it tight enough to form a water tight seat. I too had tried sikaflexing in the past but eventually let go, especially as it was in a location that was easily knocked.

It would worked even better for a siliconed transducer, but it depends where it is mounted. Mine was under the middle console so a shallow section of hull
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

Tim399 wrote:Thanks josh, is there any particular type of contact adhesive i should use? Or just something like quick grip?
whatever you have is fine mate, i used cheap glue from Kmart. Just give the plastic a light sand first to help the glue stick.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Thanks guys i think ill do it similar to how i did before, ill score the plastic a little with sandpaper then glue the foam surround down then silicone in the transducer :up: