Fishfinders

Show off your DIY project!
mocka
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Fishfinders

Post by mocka »

I would like a little feedback on waterproof fish finders with reasonable quality imaging.

I hope to install one after several years kayaking without having access to a unit, and a GPS function would be welcome, but not necessary.

I do not want to pay a top end price, BUT, I am looking for good quality in the unit and would prefer an inside hull transducer mount on my PA14.

It is important that the prospective unit be totally waterproof and I may even look at a secondhand unit, as I know that there are tackle freaks out there that "upgrade" at a moments notice.

I am looking to self install the unit ,and its a rough choice between Humminbird, Lowrance and Garmin but I really look forward to constructive feedback from members attempts, and a history of units in use.

What I would like is honest assessments on units, and not your "favourites" please ,as hopefully bias will not creep in.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Fishfinders

Post by choppers »

Lowrance seem to offer great service and are happy to replace any unit that plays up due to water damage..
Love my elite 4chirp, cost around four hundred bucks with navionics gold card :)
Superseded now by the elite 4 hook
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

I was reasonably concerned about water ingress when selecting a new sounder recently, and settled on the garmin striker 4 as it has gps capabilities without the card slot as a potential point of ingress. Does not do mapping though, only waypoints.
The garmin chirp sonar gets a pretty good wrap though.
Dave
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

choppers wrote:Lowrance seem to offer great service and are happy to replace any unit that plays up due to water damage..
Love my elite 4chirp, cost around four hundred bucks with navionics gold card :)
+1 on this sounder. Nice and Lowrance seem to back the product regardless of where it sits in the price range
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

There is no total waterproof in any fish finders. In the SWR trip last year, the group has written off combine of 4+ fish finders, due to amount of water we get splash onto. And these were Lowrance and garmins.

So the issue may come down to how these Brand handles after sales warranty .
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I've been happy with my Lowrance Elite 4 CHRIP. I would put it behind the Garmins for sonar quality but as an all-round package its very hard to beat for the price. This is my second one after the first got too much water in (warranty replacement) so be careful. However I don't believe any of them are made to handle the water ingress that can occur on a yak. With screen size I find the 4" OK as its located close on the side rail near my left elbow. If you mount it further away you may need a larger screen and then the prices jump significantly.
0408 565 763
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

choppers wrote:Lowrance seem to offer great service and are happy to replace any unit that plays up due to water damage..
What does the gold card cover?
I want a card for mine and basically Adelaide to Brisbane is about $330 with NZ thrown in.
Unfortunately the card in my older Northstar is not SD and won't fit.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I'm loving my Dragonfly Pro4 but have never used the wifish option (maybe if I was on a 40 Ft boat).
I'm loving the imagery & features.
The units body is the same size as the 5" but it runs horizontally unlike Lowrance vertical screen (if that makes sense).
John 3.16/17
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

Garmin echomap chirp 45dv. If I was in the market right now thats what I'd get. Had some niggling connection issues with a perfectly fine non corroded plug on an elite 4x Dsi on the yak and continuing major spasms with a hds unit in the boat that have put me and the old man off lowrance products. Boat will most likely end up with the echomap chirp 95sv
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

I have the Lowrance 5 chirp combo on my PA and it's been faultless.
Last a couple trips on one charge or about 8 hrs straight.
The chirp really clears up what you'd normally think were fish.