I need an anchor. what to get?

Show off your DIY project!
Mike690
Apprentice
kayak: Stealth Fisha 460. Yamaha FXHO

Re: I need an anchor. what to get?

Post by Mike690 »

The Cooper is pretty good, Haven't tried the red one, but the blue one with a length of chain holds well.

I use one of these to attach my anchor float/spool to the kayak.

http://www.worldrecordbarra.com.au/prod ... ye-32mm-ss

I run a cord to the quick release and keep it accessible (do not tie it to anything on the other end). One tap on the cord and the anchor is released instantly.

I also run one on my drift chute.

Keble's Trading in Kilsyth sell these. From memory they were less than $10 each. No need to bolt additional fixtures to the kayak.

Cheers,
Mike.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

winchbitch uses a cooper as well it works really well as a drift chute - I don't think I've seen any other anchor worse for dragging in a tide flow

it doesn't matter I guess he covers more ground than me while drifting along with the anchor out
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

On that topic a closed up grapnel can be used to deliberately drag for when wind is too strong for a chute, or even in a running tide. I've done this a few times successfully when drifting for flatties in PPB when its a bit blowy.
Poppy
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12ft

Post by Poppy »

I got a Cooper lightweight anchor ( Plastic) nice and light. Fitted 1.5mtr of chain to it
.Hav'nt tried it yet but looks good on internet when I did some research.
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Hobie AI, cooper red + 1.2m+ 6mm chain. Only time it has slipped was when i pulled the point into and locked onto a scollap shell. I use 5x depth rope.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Cooper. Had the mid size (Blue). Lost it one day so I bought the next size up which is the largest size. Probably overkill. Also with 2m of 8mm chain. I'm sure it would hold a 5m boat.

I found the Blue anchor with 1.2m of chain slipped a few times in windy conditions. I've never slipped upgrading the chain and the larger anchor.