I need an anchor. what to get?

Show off your DIY project!
jonesy46
kayak: Malibu X factor

I need an anchor. what to get?

Post by jonesy46 »

hey,
Novice here. I discovered I need an anchor after fishing at Shoreham the other day.
There are heaps on ebay and BCF have some.
My question is what type to use? sand anchor or the grapple hook type? Where to put it?
Your ideas or pictures greatly appreciated.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: I need an anchor. what to get?

Post by shane »

You will find opinions split between a grapnel or a cooper. The majority would use a 1.5kg grapnel for PPB and slower areas of WP but a 2.5kg grapnel if you will be in higher flow areas. Search around here and you will find a lot of info on setups, storage etc. Generally you will need the anchor, at least 1m of heavy chain joined to the anchor at the bottom with a break-away (cable tie) at the top. Then you need 3-5 times the depth you will anchor in for rope (3-4mm smooth poly rope) attached to the chain by a rotating shackle and then stored on a large spool or similar.

Research anchor attachment to the yak carefully. For WP you will probably use an anchor trolley with a ring on it then loop the anchor rope through the ring and connect to that yak using a cleat. This allows you to anchor with the line off the trolley at the rear, then release the line and move the line to the front to allow you to retrieve the anchor line facing into the flow. AVoid clipping directly to the anchor trolley with a fixed loop on the line as this can lead to getting stuck side on in higher current flows - dangerous.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Like shane said a 1.5 Kg folding anchor will do you in most places both WP and PPB - in higher tide flows though I like a few others use a 2.5 kg with some chain along the rope
below is from one of my posts from about 4 years ago there are a couple of pics on how I do my anchors with some chain above the anchor along the rope
cheaterparts wrote:
if you intend on fishing Westerport at any time I would go for at least a 2.5 kg folding anchour
and even that may drag from time to time if you have wind and tide pushing you

I have 2 anchours my WP anchour 2.5 kg with chain on the rope and a 1.5 kg anchour for PPB and take the one that will suit

I'm not that impressed by the cooper there are a couple using them on lighter yaks than a PA and I've seen them drag the pick where the folding anchour is still holding fast

note the rope to the bottom with a small cable tie at the top

the chain is up the rope a bit with the rope tied to the top link and the tail theaded though the chain to the anchour

this is how I have found works the best for me - hope its some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

One of these 1.5kg grapnels delivered for $26 from ebay is my current one. They are the same as the store ones. Dont go to anaconda they are ridiculously priced.

I got mine set up like cheaters with an option to shackle an extra weight onto top of chain if need be. The chain or additional weight is simply to keep it flat.

I also have a 0.7kg version with some lighter chain for low tide flow areas like most of PPB.

Important thing is be careful where you drop anchor, avoid the rocks. Its a bitch, and can be dangerous, when it gets stuck.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Cooper. Love it. Light as and works well. Costs a couple of dollars more but love it
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Mr Tangle
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Viking pro fish 400

Post by Mr Tangle »

1.5 grapnel with 1m of chain
Mr Tangle
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Viking pro fish 400

Post by Mr Tangle »

laneends wrote:One of these 1.5kg graphics pnels delivered for $26 from ebay
17$ at the boat place in inverloch!
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I use a 1.5kg grapnel anchor with 75cm of chain that is weaved onto the rope about 30cm up from the anchor. CH Smith Marine sell 1.5kg grapnel anchor for $15.40, most boat shops seem to sell them for under $20.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

shane wrote:You will find opinions split between a grapnel or a cooper. The majority would use a 1.5kg grapnel for PPB and slower areas of WP but a 2.5kg grapnel if you will be in higher flow areas. Search around here and you will find a lot of info on setups, storage etc. Generally you will need the anchor, at least 1m of heavy chain joined to the anchor at the bottom with a break-away (cable tie) at the top. Then you need 3-5 times the depth you will anchor in for rope (3-4mm smooth poly rope) attached to the chain by a rotating shackle and then stored on a large spool or similar.

Research anchor attachment to the yak carefully. For WP you will probably use an anchor trolley with a ring on it then loop the anchor rope through the ring and connect to that yak using a cleat. This allows you to anchor with the line off the trolley at the rear, then release the line and move the line to the front to allow you to retrieve the anchor line facing into the flow.

avoid clipping directly to the anchor trolley with a fixed loop on the line as this can lead to getting stuck side on in higher current flows - dangerous.
Iv been in this situation and its scary.. Luckily Mr tangles was there and could help me get out of trouble.

Of interest what sort or quick release knot is the normal/easiest?

I also vote that if you decide grapnel anchor, get a 2.5 kg, not much harder to retrieve but you will never struggle to stay in the one place. It if you fish western port in any of the channels the 1.5 just isn't the Best for the job if that makes sence
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

choppers wrote:
Of interest what sort or quick release knot is the normal/easiest?

Neither, pull loop through ring, or single line through a clip, then cleat on yak. The idea being anchor strain is taken by cleat on the yak rather than on trolley. Otherwise when its side on, trolley bows out and you can struggle to reach it, you are also reaching out to the side that is trying to dip anyway. Hence flipping risk, and into anchor trolley at that.

Also can have an issue with trolley jamming due to line twisting/catching/pulley sticking. If attached to yak rather than trolley you can still release it. If attached to trolley you cant reach it to release it and that can also be a problem