Electric Angler

Show off your DIY project!
Millzee
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Lifetime angler

Electric Angler

Post by Millzee »

A few years back I purchased a Lifetime Angler3 to see if I was going to enjoy Kayak fishing and it did it's job pretty well. After a while I decided to stick a 34lb watersnake on it and added a few 12v sockets and LED lights along the sides so I could be seen when night fishing. I then purchased an Outback and the angler has been sitting in the shed doing nothing ever since. I recently built a travel trailer to tow the yak and other holiday items behind my wifes car and since finishing it my wife asked me to change the top layout so we can take both yaks :evilgrin:
I figured I'd better do a bit more work on the angler and have now installed foot steering to the electric motor, added a better boat seat, installed a hobie round hatch with a plastic liner inside the hull and made up rod holders for angling, trolling and storage. I'm aware of the "it's now a boat" issue and will go down the rego path when needed, until then, I'll be testing it to get it ready for rego :up:
I recon my wife might use it once and decide that it'll be a good idea for me to buy a boat so it'll do it's job in one way or another, lol. I've set it up so when she decides she doesn't like it, I'll take a friend out when I'm using my hobie for company.
Here's a few pic's of how it's looking
zarbs
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Electric Angler

Post by zarbs »

Looking good. Its the first Yak I have seen with 'roll bars' :lol: On a serious note would they get in the way and be a problem if it went arse up??

zarbs
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

Some very clever mods there mate, just a couple of things to perhaps keep in mind:

- install a kill switch on a clip so if you come off, the boat won't go walk about

- if it is motor powered you will need to have it registered and subsequently be licenced. You will also be required to have all the required safety gear such as a fire extinguisher

It looks like a floating fishing armchair! :up: very comfy looking
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

It might be a bit of a thing to paddle if you ever suffer from a flat battery or other issue that stops the electric working.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

Jay wrote: - if it is motor powered you will need to have it registered and subsequently be licenced.
Do you really need a licence for a kayak with a motor?? :eh:

~ takes bag of popcorn out of the microwave, stares at the screen waiting for the sh1t storm :evilgrin:..
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Somewhere 'Offshore' wrote:
Jay wrote: - if it is motor powered you will need to have it registered and subsequently be licenced.

~ takes bag of popcorn out of the microwave, stares at the screen waiting for the sh1t storm :evilgrin:..
:lol:
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

Yes :eh:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

a kayak with a motor becomes a motor boat in Victoria no matter what size motor - so yes the rules to follow are not Human powered or sail craft but Powerboats

http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/marit ... /powerboat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Millzee
kayak: Hobie Outback & Lifetime angler

Post by Millzee »

Cheers :thumbsup:
The kill switch is a great idea, I have 8mm bullet connectors between the hull and the control head so I'll make up a connection that plugs in to the positive and can be attached to the rider.
This yak will only get used on flat waters, they are VERY stable, I'd be really surprised if a blind elephant could roll this yak. It's more like a boat, if it does go over, you'll be swimming to the bank :thumbsup:
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

cheaterparts wrote:

a kayak with a motor becomes a motor boat in Victoria no matter what size motor - so yes the rules to follow are not Human powered or sail craft but Powerboats

http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/marit ... /powerboat
:shifty: you do know I was joking right?

Of course you need one :up:
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices