Bearing Upgrade - Why bother?

Show off your DIY project!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Bearing Upgrade - Why bother?

Post by Hvalross »

A couple of months ago I bought three baitcasters, Shimano Curado and a Citica, and a Quantum Smoke Speed Freak. In order to get to know the reels quickly I had a browse through Youtube and found this :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtFiwxZEDYU

Hope it links for you ! The idea of not only super tuning the drag, but also upgrading the bearings was not on my agenda. However, I went back to the Video a couple of times and started researching. Did not find too many answers to be honest but I was well and truly hooked on the idea.

I have now upgraded all three reels, done a swag of casting and worked myself through the "why bother" Right out front is curiosity, second is performance and third is operation and maintenance.

So I will post this as an intro and add to it as I go along. The reel upgrade video above took me to an American Bearing Company Boca.
http://www.bocabearings.com

........and they are sensational to deal with Jeff Brooks is the man and the Company is out there as the best and easiest I have ever had dealings with as a Logistics Professional.

Set up as outlined I am getting 2 minutes 15.87 seconds from the Citica and 2 minutes 4.35 seconds from the Curado. The Quantum Smoke Speed Freak is just a fraction slower, but when you consider that all three quit spinning below 8 seconds with Factory Standard Super Duper Leading edge bearings its just an embarrassment for Shimano and Quantum marketing spruk.

Bottom line what do I get ?

Less effort to cast .... by far. It allowed a person to relax the hand and arm and just flick, or swing depending on what sort of cast you are using.

Better distance when I want to reach out further

Less overruns due to no initial inertia when starting the cast.

and finally............super built in distance control for accurate casting,

Downside

Need to have an educated thumb, but that is a REALLY easy adjustment to make.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Bearing Upgrade - Why bother?

Post by Wind Waker »

After Andrew's results I ordered sets for my Quantum Smoke 150 and Speed Freak 100. Due in my hands next week and I am hanging out..... :mrgreen:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

I have a curdao in a LH wind and have thought all along that it wasn't as smooth as I think it could be. Might look at doing the upgrade myself.

Good work mate.
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

This geeza (a local Aussie seller to whom I have no connection) has lots of well-priced bearings.

I picked up a couple of sets for a Shimano Alivio 6000FA and they're a perfect fit and work very well:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151759098816

Cheers,

Mike.
Brett
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Kingfisher

Post by Brett »

mingle wrote:This geeza (a local Aussie seller to whom I have no connection) has lots of well-priced bearings.

I picked up a couple of sets for a Shimano Alivio 6000FA and they're a perfect fit and work very well:

Cheers,

Mike.
Trev has been around for a while, he started out selling bearings to RC car racers and has now been stocking reel bearings for a while.
Fairly easy going bloke and if he doesn't have the size you are after, but can give him the dimensions, he will try his best to get them for you.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

mingle wrote:This geeza (a local Aussie seller to whom I have no connection) has lots of well-priced bearings.

Cheers,

Mike.
For many that will be good enough. Consider this though..........emailed Boca as I had one set doing 2min + and another doing 1 minuite 47seconds. Got an email back apologising for allowing a sub standard set out, as they saw that as a Quality Control fail.. Sent me replacements free. arrived here in four days, If 1 min. 47 sec is sub standard to them that to me sets a benchmark on their manufacturing tolerances. I had a new set of Shimano leading edge technology in the reels already. So why bother.......

So would I buy from that seller, no....and why.......because I have been around Engineering maintenance and buying for too long, know ebay too well and just can not see the point in upgrading from a tried and proven bearing from Shimano to a Dunno where the hell these are from or where they are made and the ACTUAL quality of the materials.

In the real world for a non tournament caster, and a now sometimes fisherman upgrading is a bit of a wank full stop.
But then I get a buzz from knowing that my reels are the best they can be, if the reel does not deliver its me to blame not the reel or components

Not saying folks should do or see things my way.
Last edited by Hvalross on 07 May 2016, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Now you need to look at this site, but don't blame me if you go overboard on your reels...

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:Now you need to look at this site, but don't blame me if you go overboard on your reels...

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/

Now STOP that, that is deliberate,provocative, and cruel posting :laughing1: Thankfully, from my reading of the site its not got the good stuff for current model Curado and Citica.....I got a Caenan Left hand wind for $85 upgraded the bearings and thats it, its a practice reel ONLY I will not go near that site again , ever......well maybe cos they got all the trick parts for that reel, go figure that one :roll:

I can just see such a reel 40 degree day, hot northerly casting into willows for cod and a "poser" wafts past in their $100,000 ski boat, literally falling out of his boat at the sight of a hot pink Shimano Baitcaster with all the gliz.