Made something new and want to share it "I do"

Show off your DIY project!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Made something new and want to share it "I do"

Post by Seasherpa »

agelow wrote:Hi guys,

I am keen to make this type of anchor system.

Can anyone let me know if this would be unsafe for Port Phillip Bay??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMRAib075Os

Cheers,

A
Clipping directly to the anchor trolley is fine in low tide flow areas but I wouldn't do it down the bottom of the bay or in WP. His anchor rope is overly thick you can use 3-4mm and you will get much more line on the float allowing you to fish greater depths.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

agelow wrote:Hi guys,

I am keen to make this type of anchor system.

Can anyone let me know if this would be unsafe for Port Phillip Bay??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMRAib075Os

Cheers,

A
looks like a good system to run that's one thing I could do as I don't have a float system
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
agelow
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback 2019

Post by agelow »

Thanks for reply Eoin.

How would you do a quick release as an alternative to this setup?

Cheers,

A
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

agelow wrote:Thanks for reply Eoin.

How would you do a quick release as an alternative to this setup?

Cheers,

A
The downside to clipping to the trolley is that you have to move the anchor trolley to midships to unhook it. This will turn your kayak side-on to the current which in strong current will flip you.
For the quick release, the trick is instead of clipping to the trolley, you let out line for your depth, double the anchor line over and pass it through the ring in the anchor trolley. You then wind the loop of anchor line around a simple cleat on the side gunnel of your kayak, sent the trolley backwards and dump the anchor overboard.
To quick release you just undo the loop on the cleat and the doubled over line will run out through the ring on the trolley releasing you from the anchor. Toss the line float overboard and chase your fish.
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

How big does the float need to be for you to be able to find it later and how do you pull anchor with the doubled over section?
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

mazman wrote:How big does the float need to be for you to be able to find it later
It probably more a consideration of current than finding it. Pressing enter twice on a Lowrance will mark positon allowing you to come back and get it but the float needs to be big enough to not be pulled under by the current. You'd be surprised what it can pull under even at lighter running spots like Lang Lang.
mazman wrote:how do you pull anchor with the doubled over section?
Grab the anchor reel, and run the line behind something forward of the centre line of the yak (rod holder etc). Then undo the cleat. If you pull on the hand reel, the line runs out the anchor trolley ring, the line will pull on the rod holder and swing the yak 180 degrees so you face into the current. Then you just wind the line onto the reel as you go forwards into the current.
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

FishnDive wrote:
mazman wrote:How big does the float need to be for you to be able to find it later
It probably more a consideration of current than finding it. Pressing enter twice on a Lowrance will mark positon allowing you to come back and get it but the float needs to be big enough to not be pulled under by the current. You'd be surprised what it can pull under even at lighter running spots like Lang Lang.
mazman wrote:how do you pull anchor with the doubled over section?
Grab the anchor reel, and run the line behind something forward of the centre line of the yak (rod holder etc). Then undo the cleat. If you pull on the hand reel, the line runs out the anchor trolley ring, the line will pull on the rod holder and swing the yak 180 degrees so you face into the current. Then you just wind the line onto the reel as you go forwards into the current.
Thanks Eoin
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
joffarob
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14 Dune

Post by joffarob »

Franks first post and wokkas urban warfare vid inspired me to have a crack at making a hand paddle, a mate gave a piece of pvc that he used in his truck to slide machinery on a while ago that I used to make a cleaning table and had some off cuts. I reinforced the handle by doubling up the pvc then wrapped the handle with some rope. To get the teeth section I drilled holes before cutting. Will also double up as a bait board
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

:thumbsup: looks great in like the idea of a baitboard double up well done
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Yep, multi purpose, pull / push on trees, mines on a bungy cord so I just drape it over branches as a temorary tie off, I also use it as a priest, cutting board and of course a paddle. You can slide it down your line to dislodge shallow snags.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other