I Hope the Tuna and Kings Like Them

Show off your DIY project!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

I Hope the Tuna and Kings Like Them

Post by shane »

So I've taken up a new hobby lately - making my own lures. Nothing special yet and I've realised I still have a lot to learn and skills to develop, but at least its a start. :)

I decided to start with bigger lures, particularly stick baits aimed at tuna and kingfish. You may (or may not) recognise the lures they're loosely based on, namely a xxxrap shallow stick bait and a little jack Sayoris, both well proven. I started with western red ceder, quickly shaped it with the dremel, through wired them, lead weighted, foiled them, painted with an air brush and finally coated with glass coat on a DIY rotator. Sounds simple but its taken a few weeks learning as I go. I'm not overly happy with the air brushing and clear coat (its lumpy, probably because it was a bit colder last night) but it's something to improve on. Overall I don't think the tuna and kings will mind too much. I'll find out on Saturday either way. :evilgrin:

0408 565 763
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: I Hope the Tuna and Kings Like Them

Post by Seasherpa »

How did you wire them Shane? Are they one piece cored out or are they two halves glued together?
Nice work by the way, the lines and markings on the back look like my go to x-rap that hooked (but didn't land) my tuna last year.
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

FishnDive wrote:How did you wire them Shane? Are they one piece cored out or are they two halves glued together?
They're drilled through with 1.2mm 316SS wire inserted. The gars have the top loop pre-made and crimped then threaded down to the bottom loop and back to the rear. With the green one I was able to use a slot cut for the lead to get it a bit neater. The other stick baits have a similar wire and loop made for the front then fed through a swivel that drops down for the middle loop and finally shaped and coiled for the end loop. The wire and loops should be strong enough to withstand most fish.
0408 565 763
Millzee
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Lifetime angler

Post by Millzee »

Good luck mate, I hope they work hard for you and you nail some good fish, well done :thumbsup:
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

That's so cool, I hope they work :up:
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

If I was a Tuna, I'd have a chew on them!!
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Nothing more satisfying then seeing hours of work smashed by a big angry fish. Nice work!
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Look good Shane, for the epoxy clear did you use a hairdryer to make the coating flow?

May help for next models if you didn't.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

bjspinner wrote:Look good Shane, for the epoxy clear did you use a hairdryer to make the coating flow?

May help for next models if you didn't.
I had a tiny butane torch but only used it on bubbles. I also had a heat gun on hand but didn't want to blow any dust. Next time I'll be warming the epoxy first, picking warmer weather and using the heat gun to ensure a good flow during the early part. They looked great and evenly coated when I left them on the rotator around midnight but then they've slumped and run later as its set - disappointing but lesson learned.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Shane they look good especially for a first attempt. Would be a a great feeling catching a big fish on a homemade lure. Personally I'm lazy. I would only try something like this when my kids are older and I want to pass some time.

I hope some Tuna and Kingies are caught this weekend. Although I will be so jealous.