Hobie 2015 Vantage Seat Mod

Show off your DIY project!
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Hobie 2015 Vantage Seat Mod

Post by bjspinner »

Hvalross wrote:
Aside of the seat issue, I am blowed if I can understand the well under your chair.........I guess its there to allow bumsag :lol: but as you pointed out its really a great trap for all manner of stuff a person would not want there.

It sort of beggars the question " are Hobie just not properly researching these "UPGRADES" and following Apple, Microsoft and others into a first to the market race 'cos they can" seems to me more and more products and their performance is being compromised in this chase to the bottom.
If you have been in an earlier model Hobie with the twist lock seat you would realise the new seat is far better.
For one no wet ass, nothing worse than sitting in water until it drains out.

And second you sit in a well which doesn't allow your hips to twist when you turn around to get something, I find the old seat setup really hard on my back as you are locked at the waist.

At least you can side over and twist on the new seat.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Downside of the oversize seat well is that it is an extra bucket to fill and drain when you get swamped in breaking waves. Compare a mirage hobie to say a glass ski with center consoles and low volume of deck area. This is why they are not good in surf, they fill and destabalize and tip before it has had chance to drain. The newer mirage drives also have full skirts so they dont drain as quick

on a revo 16 The water level beneath the seat is pretty close to the seat and so slops around and you still get a wet bum, add in the airflow and you get a chill factor that you didn't with a bucket seat. The venturi plug in closed position is not as plugged as old style so eventually it seeps in even on flat water where before nothing came in unless it was over the side. I reckon the seat well could have more closely molded to the seat shape to reduce collection volume, on a revo 16 you will use lowest setting at all time so it s no use for storage.

Biggest advantage to seat is ability to shift your weight to trim the yak for secondary stability. This makes a huge difference between a revo 16 and the older adventure
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Jay wrote:I beg to differ slightly on the fact that on my outback I use the space under the seat to store one or two large tackle boxes so I do actually find a use for it. Though on the Revo 11,13 and 16 I'd say it would be near useless having multiple positions for reasons already stated.

Sorry Jay, that post was not clear in its target, I was responding to Kieth, but did not make that clear enough I guess. I did picked up from your OP that you used the space under your seat for storage.........on the PA 14 a person can unhitch the cord that supports/adjusts the actual seat and flip it up like a movie theatre seat and stand in there. It has the effect of moving the weight back by 600mm, thus a person is standing more in the middle (fore and aft) ....standing there makes the yak significantly more stable.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Jay »

All good mate :up: