Just another take on the PA rudder upgrade

Show off your DIY project!
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Just another take on the PA rudder upgrade

Post by wokka1 »

Plenty of others have gone before me so this is nothing new.

After getting stuffed around by an online mob (http://www.izzz.com.au/) who had a 50 X 38 cm cutting board advertised @ $14 ish with $8 post but never actually had them in stock and it took 2 weeks of me chasing them to be told that...I rocked on over to KnifepointS/C for a squiz and found the exact same thing in store for $19, and it matches the PA colour. Big enough for 2 rudders.

Anyway I templated, extrapolated, jig sawed, hand sawed, he hawed, hummed and harred, drilled and dremelled and ended up with a reasonable result. Most time consuming was shaping the pivot to get a good fit in the mounting assembly.Hopefully wet test it tomorrow.
DSCF3315 (Large).JPG
DSCF3316 (Large).JPG
DSCF3317 (Large).JPG
DSCF3318 (Large).JPG
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Re: Just another take on the PA rudder upgrade

Post by Yacker »

Looks good mate!
Be interested to hear how it performs and of any issues it creates loading/unloading?
Looked at using one on my PA but was put off as I couldn't lift the nose to load without scraping the rudder
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Yeah, loading is an issue, I've just screwed some 3x2 pine i had laying around together to form a step for the loading blocks to sit on. I'll see how it goes before trying something similar to Shane's approach.

See Shane's here http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... er#p151583
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Lots of surface area increase there Wokka, I'll be really interested to see how the trial goes. I also am trying to figure out the best way to address the loading issue given that I cartop my PA with a RacknRoll. Shane's rotating stand attachment hanging off the back handle seemed a good approach, I've just got to get off my ass and get it done, unless the Hobie retrofit rudder gets released in the meantime with a good spec and price.
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

For the Easties...Knifepoint = Highpoint shopping centre. The shop was called Good housekeeping, the boards were priced at around $22 but they had 20 pocent sale on :up: Boards are big enough for 2 rudders.

Find other locations here
http://good-housekeeping.com.au/index.p ... s/victoria
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

My extended rudder hits the ground when loading and unloading and while I'm not concerned about the rudder itself, I am worried that the force on the rudder may put pressure on the rudder shaft and crack the hull around that area while un/loading on the ute (trailer is not a problem) so I'm just going to make a wooden block like this for the rear handle to pivot in.....
Block.jpg
Wokka, I shaped mine with a coarse sanding disc on a variable speed angle grinder and finished with a file the sanding block and came up pretty good.(do it outside thou, I had black dust everywhere in my shed :down:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... +PA+rudder
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Looks the goods Wokka, you'll be turning on a dime in no time. :up:

Another option instead of a stand or my approach is to use something similar to the hobie cart but with blocks/feet instead of wheels. This is inverted into the rear handle and gives the clearance and a pivot point when raising the front onto a car. This is the system that Bruce (bjspinner) uses.
0408 565 763
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Yes. I have a back up option. Quite simply it's the legs from a saw horse. It's held in place by an occy strap but I reckon it's a bit heavy to paddle around with and gets in the way a little when loading / unloading for a short arse like me. It's straight off the horse but i reckon with a bit of fandangling it could fit the brief.
DSCF3319 (Large).JPG
DSCF3320 (Large) (Medium).JPG
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I like the shape of the rudder, overcomes a small issue romeovictor had with his design.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

wokka1 wrote:Yes. I have a back up option. Quite simply it's the legs from a saw horse. It's held in place by an occy strap but I reckon it's a bit heavy to paddle around with and gets in the way a little when loading / unloading for a short arse like me. It's straight off the horse but i reckon with a bit of fandangling it could fit the brief.
DSCF3319 (Large).JPG
DSCF3320 (Large) (Medium).JPG
That's similar to my setup wokka, the only problem you may find is it can be hard to manoeuvre the yak with all the weight on those two points digging into the ground.

As for paddling around with it I just remove it once I have the wheels under and throw it in the back of the car.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's