Stainless Steel Mirage Drive Pedal Cranks

Show off your DIY project!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Stainless Steel Mirage Drive Pedal Cranks

Post by shane »

Some of you would be aware that I broke the pedal crank arm on my mirage drive while heading out from Williamstown last week. This is what it looked like on the morning.

And this is the drive ready for repair:

Replacement crank arms can be ordered from Hobie and usually come with the pedal attached (LH or RH). However I had read of this happening multiple times to people on the Hobie forums and so was cautious of it happening again. There are apparently also solid aluminium cranks available in the USA but these use a standard bicycle pedal and would take a while to source. So I thought I’d have a go at making my own replacement crank out of stainless steel. This was also inspired by a mod that Josh (Yakass) did on the mirage drive for his AI (which I spoke to him about).

So here is a guide to replacing your aluminium pedal crank arms with new stainless steel ones.

The first step was to pull the cranks off the mirage drive by undoing the main bolt on each side using a 9/16 spanner.

Once the broken crank was off it was pretty evident that a crack had developed along one side of the hole over time. This had finally let go under relatively mild exertion, although it had been used pretty hard in the past. There was also quite a bit of surface corrosion evident around this area (where the setting lock pin goes through). This area of the drive gets wet and will collect salt water. I admit I haven’t washed it in fresh anywhere near as much as I should, but the amount of corrosion was still surprising. The other key issue affecting corrosion is that at this point there are two dissimilar metals in contact (stainless steel and aluminium), which would hasten the corrosion of the AL. I’m hoping that going to an all S/S system will reduce the propensity for corrosion in this area.

The same removal process was repeated for the second crank:

With the creanks free the next step is to remove the adjustment locking pin and plastic lever. This is done by unscrewing the threaded pin through the end of the adjustment pin using a small allen key. With the threaded pin nearly removed the adjustment pin and plastic level will slide down and off the crank.

Next the pedals are removed by removing the plastic end cap and then undoing the nyloc nut from the end of the shaft. There is also an allen ky bolt on the plastic cap covering the top of the crank that comes off to release the small bungee attached to the pedal (newer models only). With these out of the way the pedal will slide off the shaft. This pedal shaft is approx 12mm diameter and goes through a 12mm hole in one side of the crank arm. The shaft reduces in diameter at the end and then goes through a smaller hole in the other side of the crank. The shaft is retained by punching the end to lock it into the smaller hole. The allen key bolt in the top of the crank also helps retain it on newer models (older drives appear to have a separate side pin). The pedal shafts and holes in the crank arm are shown below:

Once this is done your cranks and pedals will be in pieces ready to make the new crank arms.

For the stainless steel material I purchased 3 metres of 19x19x1.2mm 316 Stainless steel square tube. This cost me $35 cash and is enough to make around 8 crank arms. The next step is to cut the stainless tube to length and then mark, punch and drill all the new holes required. I found this part the hardest as drilling the larger holes (12mm) was very difficult with a hand drill. Through a bit of perseverance and advice I found that drilling at slow speed and stepping up drill sizes gradually got the holes done. With the holes drilled the pedal cranks are ready for reassembly:

The process for reassembly naturally follows the dismantling process in reverse. Be careful which way the locking pins and plastic levers go on as it can be confusing. You may also need to chamfer the bottoms of the crank arms where they go into the drive to allow for a bit of adjustment.

Here is the drive finally reassembled next to the standard V2 drive i borrowed from Steve (crazychenski). You will note that I have made my new S/S crank arms about and inch longer than standard. I will try this out and if its no good then I can always cut back and re-drill.

I haven’t tested it yet so am still not sure how the S/S arms will hold up to the load. The original Al arms were a bit thicker walled tube at 3mm. However I expect the S/S will be strong enough and more resistant to corrosion. Weight difference between the two drives is negligible.

I also plan to make up a kit to replace a crank arm on the water if it happens to fail. This will consist of a spare arm that already has a pedal attached (too hard to change this on the water) along with a 9/16 spanner and small allen key taped to it. This will be permanently stored in the hull along with first aide kit, spare clothes etc in a dry bag. So that’s ti. If anyone has any questions let me know. I’ll also update on how it performs.
Shane.
0408 565 763
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Re: Stainless Steel Mirage Drive Pedal Cranks

Post by Gozz »

Awesome DIY report mate.
Fantastic job.
I think the thinner wall ss should be strong as and ill be very surprised if it bends or breaks.
If u live near rowville let me know ill weld your old one for you.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Very nice job... Great step-by-step pics.

How did you go about getting the right-sized holes for the pedals - I know most of the Hobie screws and things are in good-old Imperial.

I don't mean to sound critical, but I think 1.2mm s/s may be a little bit thin, particularly when drilled. But I guess you push pedals as hard as anyone
and your testing will certainly show any weak-spots pretty quickly!

I look forward to the results!

Cheers,

Mike.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The drill sizes were easy enough to match with the holes in the existing arm. I used metric drills without any issues. For the record the imperial hole sizes are 3/8 for the bolt, 5/16 for the pin and 12mm was a good fit for the pedal shaft.

The 1.2 tube seems pretty strong and rigid. I will push it hard on the way off the water Friday but am confident it will hold up.
0408 565 763
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Great DIY job Shane. Thanks for the step by step guide.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Nice job Shane it will be interesting to see how the extra length goes.
Looks like the old arm was going for awhile by the discoloration where it broke.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

A very interesting post "Shane" complete with great pics. It will be interesting how the Mirage Drive performs under "load".
'Cheers'

"POG" :thumbsup:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Pog wrote:A very interesting post "Shane" complete with great pics. It will be interesting how the Mirage Drive performs under "load".
'Cheers'

"
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Good job. :thumbsup:
I have noticed on a few forums that people have done away with the adjuster and just use a stainless bolt/nyloc nut.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Great stuff Shane :thumbsup:
Working with stainless tests out your tools hey!