The evolution of VYAK

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: The evolution of VYAK

Post by HaTTerS »

GoneFishn wrote:I always thought that all of the "comps" that had been held in the past and the up comming one where organised by indaviduals who are neither part of the Admin or Mods team therfor to my understanding it was not organised by vyak.net. I may be wrong but it was the forum members organising the events using vyak as a communication avenue, so if this is correct wouldn't it be an easy task of dropping off the vyak name off the waiver you sign at these said comps.
Not all, some have been organised by members.
Others like the Vyak bream comp, Vyak whiting comp, Vyak teams/solo comp etc etc were run under the Vyak name
Poised on the edge of sanity.
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

the club (if one is formed) could add to its constitution that guests are allowed to attend events, with a registration fee, which would be allowed for in the public liability of such club. keep in mind you only need 5 members to form such club..
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

I woulden't ever join a club and pay to fish i spend enough money already.
But i would always be keen to throw VYAK some cash.
Clubs IMO are crap Rules that 5 blokes make up and want everyone to stick with not to mention everything else if someone don't like someone it can end a club pretty quick.

Vyak is great no rules ( well sort of ) i would hate to see Vyak comps end just because the world is going soft and people are getting sue happy.
There are so many "sponsors” who were always happy to donate prizes and turn our events into an awsome day. :thumbsup:
Brett
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Widsa wrote:Fear not Vyak wont really change at all even if people are not interested in the organisation idea the only real change is we wont be hosting comps.
Comps will have to be organised by the public or companies.

There is nothing stopping us doing like we used to do and everyone brings a pack of plastics or equivalent and we have 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
Someone organises meat or BYO just like when we started.
I think for most its not about the prizes but the company and having fun plus maybe some braging rights.
That's all I want, VYAK to stay the same and still be here, as there are a heap of great people on here.
The so called comps we have aren't what i call them anyway "they to me are meet and greets" the important part is the get together, chin wag and having a fish together aspect (prizes are the least important and just a bonus).

As far as I'm aware the last few had nothing to do with Vyak admin and were totally organised by members as were the sponsors and food. I know St Leonards and Mudbrothers were anyway and the way I read the above is that doesn't need to change (maybe just list the thread in the external comps)
Or stuff the comp tag and just call it a meet and great, I like most don't care for comps anyway its just the social aspect that makes me want to attend.

I have similar feelings as Cbarker54 (well said Chris), the official club sounds like it will only work as a localised thing with commercial agenda's. (fat chance it will be an option for people out West or in the Country) If Vyak wants to help establish this fair enough but once its up I think Vyak should distance itself from it.
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Haynsie wrote:Really? All that mucking around, incorporation, committees, fundraising, insurance, RULES?! :wtf:

I understand there's liability issues with comps, so don't have comps (or sponsors) and keep it informal and social. If people are that serious about wanting to compete, there's already a calendar full of well run, insured comps out there that anyone can enter (ABT, Tea Tree, Club Comps etc), with great prizes and serious bragging rights.

Sounds like we're taking a simple thing and making it difficult, when at the end of the day it's just about catching up with mates and going for a fish, which we do pretty well already.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tim
Couldn't agree more.
That's why we are winding the forum back and floating the idea of a club so those who are pissed off that we won't be running official Vyak competitions any more, can still get their fix of prizes and glory.

If members are happy to just enter other competitions.. for god sakes tell us... it will save us a sh!t load of trouble.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Haynsie wrote:Really? All that mucking around, incorporation, committees, fundraising, insurance, RULES?! :wtf:

I understand there's liability issues with comps, so don't have comps (or sponsors) and keep it informal and social. If people are that serious about wanting to compete, there's already a calendar full of well run, insured comps out there that anyone can enter (ABT, Tea Tree, Club Comps etc), with great prizes and serious bragging rights.

Sounds like we're taking a simple thing and making it difficult, when at the end of the day it's just about catching up with mates and going for a fish, which we do pretty well already.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tim
Dam I wish I read that before posting myself. :clap:
I would have just had to quote and type x2
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

HaTTerS wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tim
Couldn't agree more.
That's why we are winding the forum back and floating the idea of a club so those who are pissed off that we won't be running official Vyak competitions any more, can still get their fix of prizes and glory.

If members are happy to just enter other competitions.. for god sakes tell us... it will save us a sh!t load of trouble.
No i will never pay to fish a comp or join a club
Brett
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Personally, I can't see any benefit in establishing a club. Hell, I don't even own a kayak anymore :shock:

The only reason I keep coming back is the great community of likeminded people. Competitions mean nothing to me but getting together with a bunch of Fisho's, having some fun doing something I am passionate about and relaxing with a few beers and a couple of snags afterwards is what its about.

Seems simple to me, take vyak out of the equation for get togethers as it has been members organising them primarily anyway.

Running a club takes immense effort and the forum has struggled recently because people haven't had the bandwidth to do things so adding a ton of extra work/responsibility for club activities doesn't make sense to me especially when the benefits as I see them are reducing liability and possibly lobbying for things. Plenty of existing organisations can be joined for those purposes.

I wouldn't become a club member as I can't see any benefit.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

herbie wrote:Personally, I can't see any benefit in establishing a club. Hell, I don't even own a kayak anymore :shock:

The only reason I keep coming back is the great community of likeminded people. Competitions mean nothing to me but getting together with a bunch of Fisho's, having some fun doing something I am passionate about and relaxing with a few beers and a couple of snags afterwards is what its about.

Seems simple to me, take vyak out of the equation for get togethers as it has been members organising them primarily anyway.

Running a club takes immense effort and the forum has struggled recently because people haven't had the bandwidth to do things so adding a ton of extra work/responsibility for club activities doesn't make sense to me especially when the benefits as I see them are reducing liability and possibly lobbying for things. Plenty of existing organisations can be joined for those purposes.

The whole idea is for people who want to go that way can,with our support but still independent of each other its not compulsory that's the good thing about it .cheers Babylon
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Babylon wrote:
herbie wrote:Personally, I can't see any benefit in establishing a club. Hell, I don't even own a kayak anymore :shock:

The whole idea is for people who want to go that way can,with our support but still independent of each other its not compulsory that's the good thing about it .cheers Babylon
Fair enough, sounds like a storm in a teacup that will die a natural death in a week or so.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360