Ocean Kayaks Prowler 4.3

Offshore kayak reviews
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Ocean Kayaks Prowler 4.3

Post by cheaterparts »

Well it has been over a year since I bought the Prowler 4.3 an upgrade for my trusty old Kingfisher , the Prowler was pimped up for mainly fishing the bays and at anchor most of the time .
Some of the days I've been out the Weather has been less than Ideal and the Prowler has been quite capable

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... it=pimping

above a link to my first pimping work

So how are they off shore , pretty bloody good for a heavy plastic yak ( or heavier than the glass skis ) . the average fishing paddler ( yes us guys with less than perfect paddling skills ) should have little problem holding 6 - 6.5 kph for and hour or more , good speed it still available in chop and head winds
( talking to Baggs he felt that the Prowler could have been faster than his Evo 495 in chop as it seams to track a little better ) on flat water though the EVO would be 1/2 to 1 kph faster at a guess

They have excellent stability both primary and secondary , track very well in all conditions and sit low in the water so don't seam to get that wind effected . Having a rudder std also helps manage side winds and chop making the paddling an easy task
Being low in the gunnels means quite often water will come over the side , this is not a problem to the craft at all and barely noticed large scuppers deal with this quite well

One thing they don't have is in hull storage for rods although there is a rod tube accessory that can be fitted , from what I have heard they are hard to use
and would run through where I house my batteries

The Prowler is a great all rounder quite capable both inshore and off shore , comfortable to sit at anchor , drift or troll , easy to remount in deep water and as a fishing platform is a very well thought out piece of gear

The ice box is an extra and does weigh a bit but great to have storage for catch , bait and drinks . all kept cool with little ice . Tackle storage is also great with a huge console tackle box is easy reach

Hope this review is some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Ocean Kayaks Prowler 4.3

Post by laneends »

Legendary yaks. Can you see any advantages the even longer ones would have, or is this about as long as you would want?
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Nice review cheater
I must admit, after seeing it up close and in action, it does look like the ultimate allround paddle yak. I was quite surprised by how quick it was offshore.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Legendary yaks. Can you see any advantages the even longer ones would have, or is this about as long as you would want?
I did wont to get the 4.7 but none were around at the time , I have not seen the longer version in Victoria
From other reports there isn't much speed difference in the 2

the older 4.5 was not slow ether, the storage was improved on the newer Prowlers and what I have read the later ones again now made in the states and not NZ have improved there speed again
Firstly by changing the plastic the boat in more ridged and the Scupper closest the the stern has been removed - not sure if they are a bit lighter as well
but the small changes have improved the speed again

Jordo wrote:Nice review cheater
I must admit, after seeing it up close and in action, it does look like the ultimate allround paddle yak. I was quite surprised by how quick it was offshore.
you should have taken it for a paddle , it is quite a bit heavier than your Marlin and a little slower off the mark but once it's moving it does glide along well also it does have a lot more primary stability than the Marlin
very comfortable at anchor - pretty comfortable all round

I am still looking hard at a glass yak for off shore and the Prowler would become more my an inshore yak and spare - I the mean time I have to work out how to break the news to the minister for finance that I need another yak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

how heavy is the 4.3 my 4.2 torque is 34 kg slow on the start but maintains a nice glide once your up and going. i think with the deep cell and motor it pushes up around the 40 kg mark. I haven't used the motor since i first got it though, if any thing i am more interested in getting a sail once i am confident with off shore fishing
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

bop34 wrote:how heavy is the 4.3 my 4.2 torque is 34 kg slow on the start but maintains a nice glide once your up and going. i think with the deep cell and motor it pushes up around the 40 kg mark. I haven't used the motor since i first got it though, if any thing i am more interested in getting a sail once i am confident with off shore fishing
By the pamphlets they are 30 Kg bare hull add the Ice Box probably another 7 or 8 kg add other bits and pieces my yak probably goes around 45 kg ready to paddle

Compare that to Jordos Marlin a 4.75 meter kayak @ 25 Kg going by the Kaskazi site and the new fisha 500 steath is ment to come in around this weight

so yes quite a bit heavier than the glass yaks but still a great all round yak
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

oh that is real good info cheers cheater.
That was my only concern that mine was a little on the heavy side but a little extra weight would help with stability
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

My take on the prowler from a Hobie man after having a go on Cheaters on the weekend. I have always had a revo but I've been on a few paddle yaks, mainly cheapies that you can hire while on holidays. The prowler feels like a quality kayak, really in a different class to the cheapies. It felt very quick in the water, you could feel the kayak glide in the water with every stroke. It would be interesting to see it side by side with the revo on a day with a bit of cruising. I would not be surprised if the prowler is a quicker yak though. I liked the prowlers centre hatch and the fact that the sounder can be stowed inside the hull for surf entries. Compared to the hobies the hull sits quite low and it seemed quite stable. The biggest problem that I found with the prowler is that I could not find the hole where the mirage drive goes :shock: .
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Fish Grylls wrote: The biggest problem that I found with the prowler is that I could not find the hole where the mirage drive goes :shock: .
Damm good job to those mirage drive things are to hard on the legs --- lol
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657