Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Offshore kayak reviews
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Re: Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Post by wokka1 »

You might want to do some research on Revos and similar with after market amas or the hobie blow ups. Yes they will increase stability but they can also make for a much rougher ride in chop and short period waves unless you are either parallel or perpendicular to the waves. It's particularly noticeable in the washing machine that is sometimes PPB.

Think of it this way. No amas each wave acts on your yak once. Add an ama each side and each wave has the potential to act on your yak 3 times. In my personal opinion Amas are for sailing. If you have stability issues you have either chosen the wrong craft for your skill level or build or you are using it in the wrong conditions.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

wokka1 wrote:You might want to do some research on Revos and similar with after market amas or the hobie blow ups. Yes they will increase stability but they can also make for a much rougher ride in chop and short period waves unless you are either parallel or perpendicular to the waves. It's particularly noticeable in the washing machine that is sometimes PPB.

Think of it this way. No amas each wave acts on your yak once. Add an ama each side and each wave has the potential to act on your yak 3 times. In my personal opinion Amas are for sailing. If you have stability issues you have either chosen the wrong craft for your skill level or build or you are using it in the wrong conditions.
Well said. :up:
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

FishnDive wrote:
Yako wrote:Thanks Eoin for the outback review.
I read the reports from the SWR trip which was a good read.
I'm trying to figure out the best for me. I was interested in a Native with pedals but hear with the pedal heights it's not so good on the lower back.
So I guess its an Outback or PA 12 or 14, I'll be in ppb & wpb 90% of the time with the odd trip in calm flat weather into the sea.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
It is probably worth looking at what type of fishing you want to do as well as where you want to fish and also how you want to live with it on a day to day basis. You said that 90% of your fishing will be PPB and WP, and both the PA and outback would be fine out there in good conditions so deciding between the two is probably more about how much you want to bring with you when you go. The PA has more storage and the ability to stand up (fishing and peeing). Having said that I never ran out of space on the outback and it is easier to manhandle up the beach and onto a car.
Transport is always a debate and you can put a PA on top of a car, just like you can use it offshore I'm not suggesting that you can't but you need to consider
if you want to because at the end of the day there are better yaks for offshore and easier yaks to load and move around. There are work around though like trailers to make life easier if you have space for one. So in short storage is better on the PA but the trade-off is thatit is harder to move around.
Yako wrote: You seem ok with yours though in the sea, what's the key?
Also bear in mind that Shane is very experienced in more testing conditions and personally I don't think everyone would be able to navigate a PA in rough conditions as he does. He has to move his weight around a lot to offset the primary on the back of waves and for me it comes back to the can but want to argument again.
You said that you will only be offshore in calm conditions and if you plan it correctly both Pa and Outback are capable of getting you in and back in one piece.
SLH run demo days down at Mornington so my recommendation would be to drop in an put your name down to try both and decide which one feels right for you because you will be the one spending the time in the seat.
Thanks for the advice I will make a plan to try them out.
I have mostly focused on the PA 14 as I like the space and like to be able to stand some times while fishing (where possible). But I think I've possibly read and watched too many Youtube clips that I started to get swayed towards other yaks. I need pedal power to reduce twisting (due to an injury) with the oars like I have on my current kayak.
Loading & unloading I'm not worried as I will used a side loading track system to pull the yak up with and lower it (the roof racks need to carry it which won't be a problem).
I don't think I like the idea of amas as someone said it increases the wave contact making it more turbulent and possibly more dangerous in choppy conditions.
Do SLH do trials in choppy conditions or just nice calm days?
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated :thumbsup: I'll probably ask 176 more annoying questions by the time I get one :o
John 3.16/17
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Yako wrote:Thanks for the advice I will make a plan to try them out.
I have mostly focused on the PA 14 as I like the space and like to be able to stand some times while fishing (where possible). But I think I've possibly read and watched too many Youtube clips that I started to get swayed towards other yaks. I need pedal power to reduce twisting (due to an injury) with the oars like I have on my current kayak.
Loading & unloading I'm not worried as I will used a side loading track system to pull the yak up with and lower it (the roof racks need to carry it which won't be a problem).
I don't think I like the idea of amas as someone said it increases the wave contact making it more turbulent and possibly more dangerous in choppy conditions.
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated :thumbsup: I'll probably ask 176 more annoying questions by the time I get one :o
To throw another spanner in the works: If you buy the new model outback is has a redesigned flat deck for standing and has the vantage seat. Since loading and moving are not issues then the Pa is a hell of a yak and has plenty of room for big fish if you are so lucky as to catch one! As far as the SLH try days go I would assume they are organised for good conditions, but best contact one of the boys at the shop. You are welcome to try my outback in sloppier conditions if you want to make the drive over? Otherwise Choppers has advertised a tip out day in sloppy conditions which I will attend if the day suits.I can bring the outback down too and you could try it then.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

FishnDive wrote:
Yako wrote:Thanks for the advice I will make a plan to try them out.
To throw another spanner in the works: If you buy the new model outback is has a redesigned flat deck for standing and has the vantage seat. Since loading and moving are not issues then the Pa is a hell of a yak and has plenty of room for big fish if you are so lucky as to catch one! As far as the SLH try days go I would assume they are organised for good conditions, but best contact one of the boys at the shop. You are welcome to try my outback in sloppier conditions if you want to make the drive over? Otherwise Choppers has advertised a tip out day in sloppy conditions which I will attend if the day suits.I can bring the outback down too and you could try it then.
Thanks for that, I might take you up on the offer. When is this tip out day happening?
John 3.16/17
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Yako wrote: Thanks for that, I might take you up on the offer. When is this tip out day happening?
I don't think he has settled on a date yet but here is the thread to watch:
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20666
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

FishnDive wrote:
Yako wrote: Thanks for that, I might take you up on the offer. When is this tip out day happening?
Thanks for your review Eoin & thanks for turning the thread into pros & Cons of off shore yakking in the different craft Yako and others.
It has been an interesting read

I take the responsibility to peddle and fish within my own ability and not put myself at risk and to date have chosen not to go offshore on my outback.
I intend to attend the sloppy weather re entry practice day being organised by Chopper with my '2009 outback with standard fins and standard rudder.
After I have practiced under those conditions, am more confident and fitter I will probably consider upgrading rudder & fins and may join other Vyakers off shore.
If I am at the sloppy weather practice day and you are there Yako you are welcome to have a peddle in my outback.
Rob (Jacko).
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

Jacko wrote:
FishnDive wrote:
Thanks for your review Eoin & thanks for turning the thread into pros & Cons of off shore yakking in the different craft Yako and others.
It has been an interesting read

I take the responsibility to peddle and fish within my own ability and not put myself at risk and to date have chosen not to go offshore on my outback.
I intend to attend the sloppy weather re entry practice day being organised by Chopper with my '2009 outback with standard fins and standard rudder.
After I have practiced under those conditions, am more confident and fitter I will probably consider upgrading rudder & fins and may join other Vyakers off shore.
If I am at the sloppy weather practice day and you are there Yako you are welcome to have a peddle in my outback.
Rob (Jacko).
Thanks Rob :thumbsup:
John 3.16/17
dirtridn2010
Apprentice
kayak: Slayer propel

Post by dirtridn2010 »

I came to these posts to see what it is that you offshore guys get up to.
I gotta say Yikes!!
I have been about 30Km out (off Green Cape) in an 18' Cuddy, and I have to say that was spooky enough for me.
I noted that somebody mentioned a pedal kayak and suggested that the high position of the pedals on the Slayer propel ar too high and are uncomfortable for some people who have back problems.
I have owed a Slayer Propel 13 and a currently own a Slayer Propel 10.
In my experience, which I must say is limited(probably about 35 hours on the water) between both of these boats, but with significant back problems in the past found no issue at all between these two boats and my back.
I would say that my seat may be a little far back(inclined) than most, but I'm pack a few extra Kilo's and have found the seat to be extremely comfortable.
My longest time on the water was only about 6 hours and on pretty flat water (river), but no discomfort at all. It is a very easy paddle, effortless really.
This is purely my experience.
I have no expertise on the subject a just a little practice.
And of course every persons back and health is different.
Happy yakking!!
:thumbsup:
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I would suggest you start your own thread rather than hijack it. Just hit new thread and label it slayer etc.

FYI, tried the slayer and it had no storage. Prop suffers cavitation when peddling hard. Heavier than an outback. Requires dealer servicing yearly. Cant maintain it yourself. Opps sorry its a Hobie offshore in an outback thread. Got distracted. :p
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.