trolling - dead bait jig

Kayak rigging specific to offshore yakking
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: trolling - dead bait jig

Post by mingle »

I don't think there are enough pelagic fish in Victoria that would warrant trolling deadbaits - unless you count manky old couta...

You may get the odd kingie, or odd snapper or pike that grabs it, but I can't think of anything else - apart from gannets and seals.

It'll probably take 200 years until global warming makes proper pelagics available to Victorians, until then I vote we all
relocated to Northern NSW or QLD. Coz let's face it guys we're with Tassie when it comes to 'bottom of the table' fishing states! :-)

Mike.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Amen!!
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

If I had been reading this just two years ago I would also be saying the same thing.
However, we spent ages towing dead bait for Marlin at Bermie, and with bream fishing did thousands of unproductive casts. The common factor was incorrect presentation and location and timing and speed.
Down here the fish seem to be less aggressive that is pretty evident. That suggests to me that we need to learn more about the habits and feeding patterns of the target fish.
We dont seem to have the range of exotics, but then even they are seasonal up North.

Finally when I see a dead bait prepared and swum by a skilled deckie and compare that with our feeble efforts I undestand exactly why we attracted so few hits.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...