A stranger in the night

Show off your kayak!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: A stranger in the night

Post by laneends »

Used to have similar on the adventure. Mounting forward like this you may find signal dropping out in choppy conditions as bow lifts over waves. No big drama, just something to be aware of. Weed collection can be a nuisance, but again not the end of the world. Overall I was happy with the placement
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Not sure I'll have time to modify between now and Sunday morning trek out of tooradin so will good be a good initial test for all tips provided so far.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Project SlowBurn

The project to make my own flush mounted sounder lid has grown a little in complexity as I spend one or two more trips out on the water. Having moved from the Revo to the stelath, although i have ample storage for the few things I take out, the accessibility of those isnt as easy as on the revo - theres no side pockets etc that can hold a few jigheads, lures and SPs without having to go in the hatch etc every time.

You can rest some stuff on the non-slip pad on the hatch lid, but as soon as you get a fish on board, I found myself needing to clear it all - especially if you wanted to just drop it into the fish hatch. So it got me thinking, "while I'm at it, making a new lid, why don't I recess the nonslip mat portion of the lid a little, and just fit an easy access lid" a little like a clam shell. Somewhere that can hold those few things, without having to open rear/fish hatch, grab the box of bits, get the bits, close the hatch.

It's not going to be a waterproof area, just a convenient place that can store a few bits and pieces and that can be secured with a quick bungee. My 3d printed flush mount part turned up on Friday and I spoke to Seasherpa who had an old lid lying around that he donated to the cause FoC - such a gent!

Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

mrfur
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA 14

Post by mrfur »

Looking awesome Nath, that white console is killer. :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Looking good Nath, it's always a pleasure to see the work of a craftsman.
The lid im assuming is carbon fiber? And your sounder cover fiberglass? Can you bond them chemically or do you just screw them together?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

mrfur wrote:Looking awesome Nath, that white console is killer. :up:
Thanks mate.
peatop wrote:Looking good Nath, it's always a pleasure to see the work of a craftsman.
The lid im assuming is carbon fiber? And your sounder cover fiberglass? Can you bond them chemically or do you just screw them together?
The hatch lid is carbon fibre yes, and the sounder is a 3d printed part that I had made, I will bond the two together, and I am working on a tray to bon into the aperture that I cut out. I then have to work on a corresponding lid the aperture.

This however, is not the finished part...it is merely the pattern that I will take a mold from, before making a single piece hatch.

peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Ahhhhhh! I didn't even think about that lol, fiberglass or you going to kick the wife outa the kitchen to roast carbon fiber in her oven :evilgrin:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Fibreglass mold and I'm undecided on the carbon front yet...may be fibreglass or carbon. It wont be using the autoclave stuff though....although we do have a spare oven

Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

Looking good, and I like the idea for the extra storage so I will be watching with interest.
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

The wife's worst shallow roasting tin seems to be just the thing to zip in 4 and shrink.

Not the deepest, but my idea was just going to be storing a few plastics, jigheads and lures. Or some hooks and rigs if bait fishing. Also maybe my knife. I didn't want to encroach too much on the hatch space....after all that's for the fish ;-)
What are your thoughts?