Couldn't help myself...

Show off your kayak!
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Couldn't help myself...

Post by Smish »

Yes... I stuck a sail on it. :lol:

Actually works better than I expected, points higher upwind than I thought it would, obviously not a lot of power to it but paddle sailing 50-45 degrees into the wind I was averaging 7-7.5 kph which is 2 kph faster than paddling alone in a stiff wind and the kayak feels much lighter. The average wind speed was 15 knots with regular gusts to 20 knots going up to 25 knots and it never felt scary, it was actually quite fun effortlessly paddling in those conditions. The main reason I got the sail is that when I paddle with a breeze either beam on or a bit behind either from the left or right the kayak wants to gradually turn up into the wind so I was constantly correcting with the rudder which creates drag which is fine on a short trip but after paddling 30 kms offshore it's really annoying losing speed when you know you could be actually going much faster under sail. Downwind with a 20 knot gust, sail power alone, I was going 11kph... wish I had done it sooner!

Last edited by Smish on 18 Oct 2017, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Couldn't help myself...

Post by laneends »

Looks good, small enough not to get in the way and store. :up:

Throwing some weight in the back helps with that downwind weather cocking as well. I get what you say about it being tiring constantly correcting, been practising that in the revo 16 without a rudder, a whole new can of worms. Also thought of a mini sail or wind catcher of some sort just for that reason.
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the sail from? how much and was it easy to install?
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

Yep, lack of weight at the rear is the issue on the way back from those long Portland trips, maybe a tuna a or two could sort that out. :lol:
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

ecoronad wrote:Just out of curiosity, where did you get the sail from? how much and was it easy to install?

If you're familiar sailing and understand the basic principles of how the rigging works then it's pretty easy to install but you'd need a long kayak so the mast when it's packed down doesn't get in your way. I'm not sure what it would be like to install with no sailing experience, probably be tricky to get the ergonomics right.

The sail is a Flat Earth TW80, a well tested rig that's done many sea kayak expeditions, it costs around $390 and comes with most of the rigging, although I think I'm going to upgrade a few of the parts and make the setup a lot stiffer, they're designed for much skinnier yaks so the rigging is very forgiving spilling wind during gusts. Such a tiny sail is never going to tip a Viking Reload, beam on to 25 knots I barely had to lean.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Nice setup Andrew. :up: Those trips to Julia reef and back will feel a lot easier now.

Jordo has a similar sail setup on his kaskazi. He was using it at Port Mac and was able to stay moderately close to me running downwind with the AI.
0408 565 763
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

You have just reminded me of how much fun they are to sail, I must get mine out again. Have fun with it nice rig btw :up:
Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

Fish aholic wrote:You have just reminded me of how much fun they are to sail, I must get mine out again. Have fun with it nice rig btw :up:
Everybody's getting fancy glass yaks and AI's, I can't keep up! :mrgreen:
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

I wll never be able to keep up with you. Still haven't up graded to turbo fins hehe
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Kiwidundee wrote:I wll never be able to keep up with you. Still haven't up graded to turbo fins hehe
Nice one Andrew, also no need for a safety flag offshore. Kiwi - the turbo fins and also the glide upgrade make a quite a difference.