2015 Hobie Outback

Show off your kayak!
pulsarlx07
Apprentice
kayak: elcheapo

2015 Hobie Outback

Post by pulsarlx07 »

G'day guys,

so i picked up a outback yesterday and well i f#@$n over the moon :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: . Im hanging to take it out on the water and get a feel for the yak. im more than happy just to go paddle and not really fish. Butt i figure im on the water and i may as well wet a line. Thinking of altona, launch in the morning and looking for some squid and a few pinkie. Honestly i just wanna catch a fish.

so thinks to consider

Weather/wind - 12.04.17
Min 10Max 22Mostly sunny.Possible rainfall: 0 mmChance of any rain: 5% Melbourne area Patchy morning fog in the east. Mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds becoming east to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late afternoon then becoming light in the late evening.

Tide - http://tides.willyweather.com.au/vic/me ... ltona.html

Clothing weather dependant - thinking warm cloths and waders with a belt + PFD. I will be looking at lovig clothing or dry suit or something similar once i can decide. Thoughts ????

Any thing else im missing ??
Attachments
17887171_10154270513160974_208966163_o.jpg
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by Seasherpa »

Congrats on the new purchase.
First trip you should leave the rods and gear in the car tip yourself out and learn to get back in. Don't put it off as the water is only going to get colder!
Strong southerly overnight might leave some residual chop on the water, nothing crazy but if you are a complete beginner, tip out in the shallows first and work your way out deeper.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

pulsarlx07 wrote:G'day guys,

Thoughts ????

Any thing else im missing ??
Some one else to go with you.
Hopefully another Vyaker will see your post & may meet you at Altona
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

pulsarlx07 wrote: Im hanging to take it out on the water and get a feel for the yak. im more than happy just to go paddle and not really fish. Butt i figure im on the water and i may as well wet a line. Thinking of altona, launch in the morning and looking for some squid and a few pinkie. Honestly i just wanna catch a fish.

so thinks to consider

Weather/wind - 12.04.17
Min 10Max 22Mostly sunny.Possible rainfall: 0 mmChance of any rain: 5% Melbourne area Patchy morning fog in the east. Mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds becoming east to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late afternoon then becoming light in the late evening.

Hi Brennan,

Take note of what Eoin said about getting familiar with the kayak and trying re-entries. As for weather tomorrow ought to be OK but it seems Friday and Saturday are looking much better if you intend staying out for very long. I will probably be launching from Werribee South on either or both of those days, so if you want to come a little farther down and want someone to come along I'll be happy to (keeping in mind I'm quite new myself so can't offer a lot of advice). I will probably do practice re-entries on Friday.
pulsarlx07 wrote:Clothing weather dependant - thinking warm cloths and waders with a belt + PFD. I will be looking at lovig clothing or dry suit or something similar once i can decide. Thoughts ????
Not too sure that waders are really needed at least right now and if you will be getting into the water for re-entry practice it would probably not be advisable to wear them. Last time I was out I just wore shorts, a rashie, hat, old shoes and and plenty of SPF 50+ sunscreen. Normally I would wear long pants but had nothing suitable at the time. I"ve since received a pair of Lovig V2 pants but have yet to try them so can't comment on them yet.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

What time are you heading down?
pulsarlx07
Apprentice

Post by pulsarlx07 »

chrisw wrote:
pulsarlx07 wrote: Im hanging to take it out on the water and get a feel for the yak. im more than happy just to go paddle and not really fish. Butt i figure im on the water and i may as well wet a line. Thinking of altona, launch in the morning and looking for some squid and a few pinkie. Honestly i just wanna catch a fish.

so thinks to consider

Weather/wind - 12.04.17

Hi Brennan,

Take note of what Eoin said about getting familiar with the kayak and trying re-entries. As for weather tomorrow ought to be OK but it seems Friday and Saturday are looking much better if you intend staying out for very long. I will probably be launching from Werribee South on either or both of those days, so if you want to come a little farther down and want someone to come along I'll be happy to (keeping in mind I'm quite new myself so can't offer a lot of advice). I will probably do practice re-entries on Friday.
pulsarlx07 wrote:Clothing weather dependant - thinking warm cloths and waders with a belt + PFD. I will be looking at lovig clothing or dry suit or something similar once i can decide. Thoughts ????
Not too sure that waders are really needed at least right now and if you will be getting into the water for re-entry practice it would probably not be advisable to wear them. Last time I was out I just wore shorts, a rashie, hat, old shoes and and plenty of SPF 50+ sunscreen. Normally I would wear long pants but had nothing suitable at the time. I"ve since received a pair of Lovig V2 pants but have yet to try them so can't comment on them yet.

hey chris,

i will be happy to take you up on the offer if your out on the Saturday, cant do friday. Decided against going out by my self and figured ill spend my time organising the anchor and roof racks/loader today ill post once i have that set up.

seasherpa if your heading out ill swing by n say hi. :)
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Dont wear waders :shock: they fill with water even with a belt.
Congrats on the yak, you'll love it :up:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

pulsarlx07 wrote: seasherpa if your heading out ill swing by n say hi. :)
Sorry Brennen, I saw this one too late. I did head down for a paddle this morning and will be heading down again tomorrow about 8am.
With clothing heading into winter you are looking for layers to suit the conditions; comninations of wicking, thermal & protective.
wick away moisture, lock in the body heat and protect from wind chill (and sun).
Here are some suggestions to get you started looking for gear:
https://seasherpakayaks.files.wordpress ... -20171.pdf
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

pulsarlx07 wrote:hey chris,

i will be happy to take you up on the offer if your out on the Saturday, cant do friday.
ok, Sat is still looking good for the AM. Barring a change in the forecast I'll probably be launching around 8 or 9am from the beach opposite the oval. If you plan on heading down let me know and we can co-ordinate a more specific time (I'm pretty flexible time-wise). Also if any other forum members are planning on hitting Werribee South on Sat I'd love to say hello.
pulsarlx07
Apprentice

Post by pulsarlx07 »

chrisw wrote:
pulsarlx07 wrote:hey chris,

i will be happy to take you up on the offer if your out on the Saturday, cant do friday.
ok, Sat is still looking good for the AM. Barring a change in the forecast I'll probably be launching around 8 or 9am from the beach opposite the oval. If you plan on heading down let me know and we can co-ordinate a more specific time (I'm pretty flexible time-wise). Also if any other forum members are planning on hitting Werribee South on Sat I'd love to say hello.

hey chris i honestly wouldnt mind tagging along. figured ill come for about an hour or so. just to practice re-entry. wind says its a SSW. Least i can learn the area a little bit. ill check this space at around 7ish. check the weather and go from there. sorry for the late reply.