Hurricane Phoenix 140

Show off your kayak!
Kevin
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hurricane Phoenix 140

Hurricane Phoenix 140

Post by Kevin »

I've had my Hurricane Phoenix 140 (4.3m paddle yak) for a three years now. I been asked a few times about the fit-out and again recently. So here are the details.

- two rod (Scotty type) holders either side just behind the seat
- one central Ram type holder
- fish finder - inside hull mound of sensor and central mount of display
- esky - held by shock cord attached to hooks, with two rod storage tubes bolted to the esky
- led light permanently mounted on swivel mount (marine aerial mount)
- 7amp/hour battery housed inside hull in waterproof instrument case
- paddle holder - purchased a standard Hobie kit using shock cord
- anchor trolley - purchased a standard Hobie kit
- clip on tackle bag (clips onto back of seat)
- rear mount for tow rope (sometimes have to tow my wife in her Hobie :lol: when she gets tired of peddling) - a piece of shock cord in the tow line makes it much less jarring when waves hit the towed yak.

It's a simple clean set-up, that only requires the esky to be removed. Everything else remains in place - real quick for on and off the water.
Attachments
Hurricane Phoenix 140.jpg
never know - is it yakking or yaking?
Grasshopper07
Apprentice
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 12

Re: Hurricane Phoenix 140

Post by Grasshopper07 »

Yakking. From what I remember in primary school Yaking would be pronounced Yay-king. Same as baking- Bayking
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Someone remembers their grammer.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Thanks Kevin.

The nut fitting method mentioned in the other post sounds daunting. Sounds like it would be a bright idea to practice on accessible nuts before drilling impossible-to-reach locations. I guess removing those would be a grinder job.
I'm not keen on Ramball for trolling but the kayak came with a Scotty forward in the foot-wells - same position as yours (I suspect) or possibly a little further forward. I plan to add an extender to that one to get it out of 'feets way'. My simple cable tie leash attachment to to end of the rod scratches the ankle with the angle is wrong and the drink bottle sitting in the holder prevents putting it straight forward. I probably need to fit another bottle holder but need to think that out.

Mostly, the aim is to get gear accessed a lot into a location in the cockpit to minimise the need to turn but to have a clear cockpit that enables hips and legs to get involved in the paddling stroke.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/