I've Joined the Revolution!

Show off your kayak!
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: I've Joined the Revolution!

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:Interesting to see the recessed mounts fitting in the forward position. They wouldn't fit in the 16, only the berkley mounts would fit.
Ye plenty of space, nothing behind them on the inside
laneends wrote:How do you go with the rear mounts and your elbows? I actually rest my elbows on my rear bullhorn tubes for extra stability when its rough,. You could do the same with the launchers in there.
I havent yet got around to fitting as work kind of took over yesterday and thought I better finally get around to planting my tomato plants and sowing my beans. Afterall, I need some accompaniments to go with all the fish I catch. Haha

I also dont think I sit low enough in the seat for my elbows to come into play. I've only used the grab handles when pedalling in rough stuff
laneends wrote:Whats the railblaza mount intended for, a light??
Ye it's for a light mate. I currently run my railblaza light in the molded rocket launchers. I have wrapped some padding around the base so its a tight fit. probably nothing, but I loose a fair bit of height due to this.
laneends wrote:With your intention to use the berkleys up front make sure the tabs are in the right orientation with the scotty mounts so they dont release in a position you are likely to use.
Yep all four are facing inboard arrows are facing inboard.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Managed some time in the garage to make my Berkley QS rod holder extrensions this evening.

cut some alu box at angle to match the angle i wish to run my holder at and drilled through. Also made some spacers out of cheapo plastic chopping board from supermarket.

assembled:

mounted to kayak:

Possible a little taller than needed, but i will see how I go out fishing and test the reach etc. It will certainly miss my feet which was one of the plans :)
I can always chop it down if needed.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Definitely a bit tall on the rod holders. Mine are only around 20-25cm.
0408 565 763
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

shane wrote:Definitely a bit tall on the rod holders. Mine are only around 20-25cm.
Ye I thought i remember measuring around the 30cm mark, but I couldnt remember 100%. As they are quite far forward and I'm not sure what angle I want the holder - and therefore the angle the butt will be towards my pedals/legs - I thought I'd try it out and I can always cut it down a bit :)

outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

You'll have a serious amount of leverage on the mountings with a big hook up, I hope you've got some good solid backing plates under the mounts to spread the load.
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

You've got me a bit worried now Paul... the flush mount is snugly fitted but no backing plate. I dont intend on allowing a fish on a long run while still in the holder, plus I have a live liner/baitrunner on so wont be expecting a massive hit from a massive fish either. Definitely something to consider though.

I was planning on making some backing plate with some left over chopping board, but after there was no room for them in the other pair i fitted I didnt even think to check these. I will see if there's any room on the inside.

Also, once I've used them once i will get an idea of the height to which I want to cut them down to.

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

neatly done. Leverage will be fine especially once you've reduced them to optimum height.

May as well get rid of those rubber caps on the scotty mounts you will never use them and they will just be annoying

Those little rubber ends on the berkleys will also soon disappear

:thumbsup:
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:neatly done. Leverage will be fine especially once you've reduced them to optimum height.

May as well get rid of those rubber caps on the scotty mounts you will never use them and they will just be annoying

Those little rubber ends on the berkleys will also soon disappear

:thumbsup:
Thanks mate. I was already thinking about the scotty rubber caps being a faff even when I was standing by the side of the yak mounting the berkley. I instantly thought, how would i manage back in the seat leaning forward etc. Just need to get out and try it all now. Was thinking a trip down to WP as the weather appeared to ve getting increasingly worse for the northern PPB for the weekend - although it seems to have levelled off now, even if its still that southerly. Are you getting out at all Keith

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

You should really position the Berkleys well below eye-line so you can be sure they're in right and also so you are lifting up from below to remove them. They are not a good rod holder for trolling so shouldn't be an issue pedaling. I would put them so the butts are only just clear of the mirage pedals/toes and no higher.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Good point Shane raises about making sure rods are in properly and the holder arms are where they should be, Its easy to have the arms out of position, you put rod in holder and rod out falls forward as the rear arm is under the butt instead of on top.

Being on the side You can travel with rods facing more forward so butts are to the side of the pedals anyway

You going to use the rocket launchers just in front of the pockets? I troll with these there facing 45degrees backwards. Swinging to side to bait fish and fully forward if I want to paddle