Stealth

Show off your kayak!
Willie17
Apprentice
kayak: Stealth Evolution and a supalite

Re: Stealth

Post by Willie17 »

So tell me guys. Do you have trouble getting your kayaks on the roof. I think I'm going to have to make a bar to put one end on first then lift the other up. Or am i being soft and just need to lift it. Just seems heavier than 30kgs :lol:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Willie17 wrote:So tell me guys. Do you have trouble getting your kayaks on the roof. I think I'm going to have to make a bar to put one end on first then lift the other up. Or am i being soft and just need to lift it. Just seems heavier than 30kgs :lol:
Nah mate not being soft at all, your roof is quite high and a 5m boat will always be a bit awkward to lift. Loading systems are always a good idea, even if you have a light yak. After a big day on the water a rushed lift gone wrong can lead to damaged gelcoat or worse a damaged back!
A 25mm square section will fit into your Lockracks and you can support the outer end of it with a tent pole. If you use aluminium it is quite light at that size so a dowel or similar down the middle of the bar will help stop it bending.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

Congratulations on the new kayaks. As Owen said it's definitely okay to use a loading system to help you. I've seen post from a few guys here and on other forums that have hurt themselves loading up their kayak so better safe then sorry.

Those lockracks seem pretty nice. They look like they're a bit too small for the PA though, anyone know if they would fit?
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

Post by Nello »

congrats on the new yaks, look very niceee! :thumbsup:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

30kgs? I though these glass skis were supposed to be light! :-)

Mike.
Willie17
Apprentice

Post by Willie17 »

Well took it for a short paddle today. a mate and I Went down to peterborough hoping to go for a paddle on the lake section of the curdies river but the wind had got up and looked very unpleasant so decided to go to princetown and try. It is a little more sheltered there. We paddled down to the mouth and back probably 1.5 kms the wind was still pushing us around and the mouth was open so had current in the same direction. So the paddle back was against both wind and current. It took less effort than i had imagined. I am very happy with it so far :up:
My mate has come up with an idea for a loading bar but Eions idea of the tube in the lock rack may be worth a look. Cheers Willie
Willie17
Apprentice

Post by Willie17 »

And thanks for all the comments and advice. This is a great forum. Cheers Willie
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Cheater have u grown a set and ran it past swmbo yet??
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

mingle wrote:30kgs? I though these glass skis were supposed to be light! :-)

Mike.
They are, but then everything is relative. EVO's are around 30kg standard fittings but newer vacuum formed models are 25kg or less. Compared to the equivalent size plastic glass will be lighter.
eg: EVO = 495cm and 30kg whereas a REVO 16 (adventure hull) is only 4.8m long but 34kg empty and 42 with mirage drive and tackle boxes etc in.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Anthony wrote: Those lockracks seem pretty nice. They look like they're a bit too small for the PA though, anyone know if they would fit?
It can be done. The standard 50cm base will hold most yaks and fishing skis up to the size of an outback.

The PA can work by using the 65 cm base that is normally used for carrying two SUP's but it does depend on how close the roof racks are together, if the racks are really close the width may be an issue.
If you want to measure the width and height of the PA at the point at which it sits on your two roof racks and flick me the measurements I'll be able to confirm if it would work for you.
Cheers
FnD