my evo 495, first go and modifications

Show off your kayak!
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

Re: my evo 495, first go and modifications

Post by Nello »

Modified my yak trolley so hopefully it'll lock into the skeg rudder, havnt tested it yet but I'm hopeful!
DSC_0585.jpg
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

Have been thinking about the power for my yak for a little bit and planning for a while.
So finally got time to work on it and here's what I did.
I've got a 7.5amh SLA battery to power it, which I wanted to put in the back hatch of my stealth, then attach in three power cables to go to the front, which would power any appliances I might put on the yak. I also wanna put in a mounted vhf, which is why I put in the cabling for the aerial which would be mounted on the back.
step 1
cut out the hole for the new access hatch at the rear, threaded through the power cables and aerial cable to the front hatch.
step 2
cut out small nooks next to the hatches for the cables to go through, sikaflexed the cables into these holes to make it watertight, then screwed in the hatches.
step 3
Removed original power connection from the fish finder and connected it to the new power cable
step 4
Connected wires to both the battery clips, and the fuse box I have, can have up to four fuses but only need three. Then attached the connection from the fuse box to the main wire, via a narva weathertight connection.
This was a little tricky and I had trouble with the fuses blowing, but got it sorted, might have accidentally touched the red and black wires which would explain the blown fuses.
I've only attached up one wire for the fish finder, will connect the others up when I have the time.
step 5
Neatened up the wires at the front with cable ties so they're not all over the place.
The connections are a little temperamental but it works and I'm happy with it. Here are some pics.
Back hatch 1
Back hatch 1
Back hatch 2
Back hatch 2
Front hatch 1
Front hatch 1
Battery box, with battery and fuse box
Battery box, with battery and fuse box
Weathertight connector
Weathertight connector
Wires coming out next to the hatch, encased in sikaflex.
Wires coming out next to the hatch, encased in sikaflex.
All the wires in the front hatch
All the wires in the front hatch
Fish finder working on the new power source :D
Fish finder working on the new power source :D
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

So the battery box lives in the day hatch with the Hobie Lid? Was it hard to get access to put the access port in the day hatch?
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

FishnDive wrote:So the battery box lives in the day hatch with the Hobie Lid? Was it hard to get access to put the access port in the day hatch?
Yes it's in the day hatch. The battery box is fully removable, just disconnect the wires and take it out, and it was a bit difficult to get it in there, had to pretty much use the drill as a jigsaw.
It took probably 6-8 hours work but I'm really happy with it. I'll show you at the TTTAF comp if you're going and wanna have a look.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Nello wrote: I'll show you at the TTTAF comp if you're going and wanna have a look.
Yep I'll be there :thumbsup:
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

FishnDive wrote:
Nello wrote: I'll show you at the TTTAF comp if you're going and wanna have a look.
Yep I'll be there :thumbsup:
Alright sounds good mate