my evo 495, first go and modifications

Show off your kayak!
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

my evo 495, first go and modifications

Post by Nello »

I picked up my new stealth evo from fishndive (Eoin) a couple weeks ago and finally found time to take it for a paddle around my local lake in yarrambat today.
Got to the lake and eagerly unloaded the yak and got set up and ready to go.
1 e.jpg
From the first paddle I loved it, I was able to keep a pace of 6km/h which doesn’t sound like much but I was fairly pleased with that for my first go in the new yak. I found the kayak very stable and noticed that it tracked very well through the water, it was a bit sluggish on turns but that has to be expected with such a long kayak
2 e.jpg
I found the paddling experience really enjoyable and didn’t mind not having any rods in the water as I used today as a day to get a little bit used to the kayak in some nice flat water. it was a bit windy but i found that the kayak wasnt affected too much by the wind, i did see my paddle speed drop down to 5km/h when going into the wind but i did manage to get up to 9km/h going with the wind.
3 e.jpg
I brought this kayak to open up more opportunities with my fishing and look at doing a lot more saltwater fishing. I feel like it’s gonna be the perfect platform to fish out of and expand my range of fishing areas and hopefully help me get some new species which I haven’t been able to target previously.

I also wanted to post up some of the mods I’ve done on the yak or for the yak.
First off my granddad made a platform/shelf in the garage to help store the yak upright and in a safe undercover area so that there was far less chance of being damaged in storage between fishing trips.
4.jpeg
The kayak came with two ram rod holders at the back and a ram fish finder mount on the hatch lid. The first mod I did was add a railblaza mount to the hatch lid so that I’d be able to put my phone there for Navionics or have a rod holder set up in front of myself. I decided to just spin the ram mount around and use the other hole from it for the new railblaza, and therefore I only needed to drill two holes on the outsides for the ram mount and new railblaza mount.

I then decided to add some Velcro to the inside of the hatch so that I’d be able to place the container with my safety gear inside the hatch and not have it slide around. I only used standard Velcro, so will probably have to upgrade this to marine Velcro once it wears off.

I also decided to put a rectangular based railblaza mount behind the rear hatch which I’ll be able to use for a light or a flag. This was a fairly easy install and I did it fairly quickly and effectively.

Finally i decided to add in a railblaza mount up the front to mount a camera onto, I wanted to mount it as far towards the nose as possible, and decided to add a chopping board backing onto it. I carefully measured out the right spot that I’d be able to get to by reaching inside the hatch. I drilled the holes and sikaflexed it ready to go on. The next step was a pain in the arse! Honestly I don’t think that there’s any way possible that I’d be able to get further inside the hatch to put the backing and screws on. I literally had my whole arm inside the hatch up to my shoulder, I was lying on top of the yak and anyone walking passed would’ve thought I was doing something a bit naughty to my kayak…. Anyway I got it sorted and am pretty pleased with my efforts.
5 e.jpg
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: my evo 495, first go and modifications

Post by shane »

I'm liking your mods Neilo. Just about all set to go chasing pelagics. :up:
0408 565 763
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

that kayak will definitely open up opportunities for you :up: i was nearly drooling when i saw it on eions trailer when i met him :) ill get some glass one day...
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

shane wrote:I'm liking your mods Neilo. Just about all set to go chasing pelagics. :up:
thanks Shane, have a week off uni next week so hoping to get out and catch some nice fishies.
Tim399 wrote:that kayak will definitely open up opportunities for you :up: i was nearly drooling when i saw it on eions trailer when i met him :) ill get some glass one day...
yeah that's the plan! I was the same, it is a VERY nice yak and I feel lucky as to have it.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Nice work mate :thumbsup: Hope it serves you well.
You did well to get the camera mount that far down, you must have gorilla arms!
I'll have to get to work on mine now to get it sorted for the water.
Bring on the kingies :yahoo: (and snapper)
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

FishnDive wrote:Nice work mate :thumbsup: Hope it serves you well.
You did well to get the camera mount that far down, you must have gorilla arms!
I'll have to get to work on mine now to get it sorted for the water.
Bring on the kingies :yahoo: (and snapper)
Thanks mate :D
Mate was tough as getting it that far down, yeah my gorilla arms sure do come in handy.
Look forward to seeing what you do on your new beast! Can't wait for this snapper season and the kingys better watch out!
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Nice bro, good work on the mods.
Should be killing it on the kingys this summer!
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

Jordo wrote:Nice bro, good work on the mods.
Thanks jord I'm pretty happy with them.
Yeah bro hopefully we can get onto some nice kingys over summer.
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Nello wrote:
You also need to plan for SWR over easter... :evilgrin:
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

CrazyChenski wrote:
Nello wrote:
You also need to plan for SWR over easter... :evilgrin:
that'd be great but next Easter is tassie tuna time for me! ;) isn't that right Jordo? :thumbsup: