It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 15:02

A stranger in the night

Show off your kayak!

Re: A stranger in the night

Postby Reeling » 23 Nov 2018, 09:06

Small update: It doesn’t look like much, but managed a good couple of hours last night on the hatch last night. Think I've broken the back of the work to get the mold up to where I want to be.

Bonded the tray together
Bonded tray to hatch
Fillered the tray and rough sanded
Filler primered the sounder, sanded the highs – repeat
Epoxy filled the previous screw holes

Sounder mount is good for a top coat and wet sand,
The filler work in the tray needs to be sanded a bit more to tidy up and blend around the corners, then the hatch lid and tray can be filler primed and sanded to the same standard at the sounder mount

Revo:
Flathead 52 cm --- Squid 29 cm hood --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) --- Pinkie 38cm --- Leatherjacket 23cm-ish --- Southern Bluefin Tuna 20.5kg

Stealth:
Snapper 84cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 36cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood
Reeling
Square eyes

kayak: Stealth PF 525

Postby Fish aholic » 23 Nov 2018, 12:57

It’s looking good! Any plans for a lid on the tray or will you just leave it open?
Fish aholic
Square eyes

kayak: Hobie outback

Postby Reeling » 23 Nov 2018, 14:34

Fish aholic wrote:It’s looking good! Any plans for a lid on the tray or will you just leave it open?

Yes I'm thinking a bit of a lid with similar mechanism to the original hatch - hence the 10mm gap between the sounder and tray :evilgrin:

I wont be aiming for watertight just something to hopefully deflect most waterspray. The lid will be simply secured with a quick release bungee similar to the aftermarket ones you can already buy for the standard hatch. I'm currently tossing up whether to make the lid slightly domed (read more effort) to increase the storage volume - obviously without interfering with vision and reaching of the sounder.
Revo:
Flathead 52 cm --- Squid 29 cm hood --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) --- Pinkie 38cm --- Leatherjacket 23cm-ish --- Southern Bluefin Tuna 20.5kg

Stealth:
Snapper 84cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 36cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood
Reeling
Square eyes

Postby inshorebrawler » 25 Nov 2018, 18:40

Top job Nath.
My name is Frank and I'm addicted to Hobies.
inshorebrawler
Lord of the fish

kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Postby Reeling » 25 Nov 2018, 21:07

Thanks Frank.

I managed to get both bits sanded to 240 grit and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

I'm hoping to nip off work early on Tuesday to pop to a composite place that's been recommended to me. Want to chat to them about best ways to make the mold and what they'd suggest to use as top coat to make sure no reactions to the resin etc.

Still have to sort out the lid, but will think about this over the coming days
Revo:

Stealth:
Reeling
Square eyes

Postby laneends » 26 Nov 2018, 08:51

Looking very slick Nath :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict

kayak: Red Quest 13, Ivory Quest 11,Ivory Revo 16

Postby peatop » 26 Nov 2018, 15:40

Nice work Nath, your going to be busy poping those out for everyone with a stealth :clap:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, do we count toadies?
peatop
Lord of the fish

kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick and dune PA14

Postby Seasherpa » 26 Nov 2018, 20:54

Reeling wrote:Thanks Frank.

I managed to get both bits sanded to 240 grit and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

I'm hoping to nip off work early on Tuesday to pop to a composite place that's been recommended to me. Want to chat to them about best ways to make the mold and what they'd suggest to use as top coat to make sure no reactions to the resin etc.

Still have to sort out the lid, but will think about this over the coming days

Coming along nicely Nath.
In the bottom of the tray I'd add as much of a fillet as you can get away with, don't have corners you don't need its just another place for an air gap to form.
To make the mold you'll just need some tooling gelcoat, tooling resin and some 450csm.
Before you get to that you'll need to cover everything with about 15 coats of mold release wax.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

kayak: Lots of glass ones

Postby Reeling » 27 Nov 2018, 07:51

Thanks all.

Seasherpa wrote:Coming along nicely Nath.
In the bottom of the tray I'd add as much of a fillet as you can get away with, don't have corners you don't need its just another place for an air gap to form.
To make the mold you'll just need some tooling gelcoat, tooling resin and some 450csm.
Before you get to that you'll need to cover everything with about 15 coats of mold release wax.

There is a slight fillet along the edges of the bottom and significantly larger fllet in the corners. It did cross my mind about making the fillets larger along the sides of the tray bottom for the exact reason of air gaps, but came to the conclusion that I wouldnt have an issue getting the gelcoat into the corners for the mold. And when I actually coming to laying the carbon for the part, this "bottom" will be a top" in the mold - if that makes sense?

I've got the part with me, so will ask the "pro's" at the shop what they think :)

As well as the 450 chop strand I may also go for a something a bit lighter for the first layer to avoid any print though. What do you think?

Also Eoin, while i've got you ;), is there a reason why the hatch lid is so thick? Is seems excessively thick given its not a structural part. Is it because the carbon lid 100% carbon?
Revo:

Stealth:
Reeling
Square eyes

Previous

Return to The Beast